Links to helpful resources.
karyrogers

PacketBomb - Packet Analysis Tutorials

Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:48 am

Hi folks,

I've spent countless hours of my life troubleshooting and analyzing network performance issues and break-fix issues. With large, complicated environments, the best way I've found to get to the root cause quickly is packet analysis. I can eliminate lots of possibilities right away and focus on what matters. The problem is it can be overwhelming to get started learning how to do it. Where do you start? What do you look for?

I started PacketBomb to show people how to get started. For me, seeing someone who really knew what they were doing opened up my eyes to what's possible. I want to do that for other people.

I just posted How to Prove It's Not the Network on the site. Check it out and let me know what you think. Let me know what I can help you with.

timhalo
Certs:
CCNP, CCIP, JNCIS-ENT, M&M, PB&J, etc.

Re: PacketBomb - Packet Analysis Tutorials

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Saw your post on reddit a while back, why don't ....packet. Was a good thread to read.

karyrogers

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Ha, yeah. That thread and people asking how to get started is one of the reasons I started the site.

SofaKing
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Nice site and videos!! Thanks!
“Desire is the key to motivation, but it’s the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal, a commitment to excellence, that will enable you to attain the success you seek.” – Anonymous

karyrogers

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:37 am

There's not many things more frustrating that getting a call and hearing "Why is the network slow?" You check your monitoring dashboard and see all green lights. But how can you prove that it's not the network?

In a new post, we discuss some of the factors that can limit performance that aren't the network: Understanding Throughput and TCP Windows

And then we'll do some hands-on analysis to learn how spot these limiting factors in a capture: Troubleshooting Performance and TCP Windows

Hope you find them useful!

Langly
Certs:
CCENT

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:17 pm

Loving your videos and your site. Keep up the good work, I'll definitely be watching for your updates and sharing it out.

karyrogers

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks, Langly!

karyrogers

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:09 am

I've posted some performance analysis stuff, but now I have a real live, painful problem that I helped solve with packet analysis for someone on my email list: extremely slow web page load times. So annoying and frustrating!

I looked at the pcap one evening, emailed my analysis before bed, and I could hardly sleep because I couldn't wait to see what the result was. (Maybe I get a little too excited about this stuff sometimes) The next morning I learned that the problem had been solved with the help of my analysis!

Feels good, y'all. Check out how it went down:

Case Study: All Web Pages Load Slooooowly

karyrogers

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:22 am

I get lots of requests from people about how to learn Wireshark and packet analysis. As I'm only human and can do only so much, I decided to giveaway a copy of Laura Chappell's Wireshark 101 book. She's the Queen of Packets and has forgotten more than we'll ever know about packet analysis. And she's a great teacher. So here's your chance to get it for free.

You sign up with your email (so I can contact you if you win) and you get a custom URL to share on twitter or facebook or a billboard. You get 3 more entries to win for every person that signs up with your URL. Neat. You will also get email updates from me from time to time with things like requests for case studies and new stuff I'm putting out. You can always unsubscribe.

Win the Wireshark 101 Book!

Good luck!

Wuggles
Certs:
CCNA, Net+

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Enjoying the site, keep up the good work!

karyrogers

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:41 pm

Sometimes you need to analyze a traffic capture and you have very little info to work with. Where do you start? I talk about that in a new video.

First Steps: What to Do When You Don't Have Much to Go On

karyrogers

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:59 pm

It's always the network, right? Here's a real live example of a time that it wasn't the network and the network guy still helped solve the problem because he's that damn good.

Solving Tomcat Throughput Issues on Windows

karyrogers

Mon May 11, 2015 10:04 am

When you see all those red and black packets in Wireshark, are those a problem? Are they THE problem? The tool is only as good as the person using it.

If you know how to do TCP sequence number analysis, you'll know if those red and black packets are a problem or not. In the latest video, I walk you through how to do just that.

How to Do TCP Sequence Number Analysis

karyrogers

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:28 am

Oh hey, it's been a while. How are you? Great. Glad to hear it. Well anyway I wanted to let you know about a few packet analysis case studies that I've done. I hope you find them useful.

Troubleshooting MTU Issues with Wireshark

Troubleshooting a One-Way Performance Issue

Troubleshooting Slow FTP Uploads

Tell your momma n them I said hello

karyrogers

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi all,

If you've gotten value of out the videos I've posted and would like to learn more about packet analysis, I've just released a course to teach it from the ground up. This is the first in a series of courses and it teaches the things you should know and do before you jump into the deep end with Wireshark.

You can read about the course here.

You can see some lessons from the course to get a feel for it here.

I hope it's ok that I post this, but if not, please remove. Thanks.

rodolfosevero007
Certs:
StiffMaister hahaha

Wed May 03, 2017 6:07 am

https://www.animmex.tv

Just want this old account banned and removed from the database, so a little spam should do the trick XD sorry btw and the website is legit they're good =D

'

Return to Useful Links/Tutorials