General off-topic discussions.
seittit

GNS3 1.0 alpha is here

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:32 am

and in typical Linux fashion, it's a pain in the ass to install :D

has anyone given it a good run yet? I don't have any windows desktops at home, and all of my Linux machines are servers; looks like I will be waiting even longer for the OS X client :/

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:
CC\NP\DP\IP\NP-Security\NA-Voice

Re: GNS3 1.0 alpha is here

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:19 am

I have early access... but can't find where to download it :-(
Freedom to all the people. Brave, true and strong.
Freedom to all the people. Unless I think you're wrong

dhimes.com

seittit

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 am

dlots wrote:I have early access... but can't find where to download it :-(

have you visited members.gns3.net today? also:

For Linux Users:

1. Download GUI: https://github.com/GNS3/gns3-gui

Read the README.rst (trust us… read it)
Download Zip File
2. Download Server: https://github.com/GNS3/gns3-server

Read the README.rst (trust us again… I really mean it… read it)
Download Zip File
3. Follow the README’s to install Linux

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:45 am

downloaded the windows stuff and fiddled around with it, but I don't have IOU installed so it really didn't do anything new for me, I tried the VM they have, but neither Virtual Box or VMware could open it. So there really wasn't much for me to see :-(

dhimes.com

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:11 am

weird, I never got my email to let me know it was out. By off chance I tried to go to members.gns3.net and the website is offline lol. So I thought I'd come check here and sure enough here's a post about it

Do they have a windows install? I guess I'll wait until the member site recovers from being slammed.

Just got a reply from Stephen saying all of the people logging in this morning killed their server and they are working on getting everything back up :lol:
Last edited by Axis on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best part about telling UDP jokes is I don't really care if you get them or not.

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:13 am

also never got an e-mail about it :-(

dhimes.com

seittit

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:19 am

email just went out, had to periodically check twitter last night for updates.

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:27 am

I call lies....still no email for me :P
The best part about telling UDP jokes is I don't really care if you get them or not.

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:41 am

there we go, back up now

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:29 pm

good lord the windows version looks like a huge pain in the ass to use right now

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:50 pm

dlots wrote:downloaded the windows stuff and fiddled around with it, but I don't have IOU installed so it really didn't do anything new for me, I tried the VM they have, but neither Virtual Box or VMware could open it. So there really wasn't much for me to see :-(

had the same issue, I tried deploying the ova template and it failed as invalid with a "Line 2: Incorrect namespace 'http://schemas.dmtf.org/ovf/envelope/2' found."

seittit

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:45 pm

the windows version can't run IOS and the IOU configuration is a pain in the bottom side.

patiently awaiting CML

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:54 pm

God this software sucks, it's like it's an alpha 1st release or something like that.

dhimes.com

seittit

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:25 pm

dlots wrote:God this software sucks, it's like it's an alpha 1st release or something like that.

agreed. how dare they release such an unfinished product during their alpha pahse; it's time to completely give up on the GNS3 project forever.

c1286941fc1f1856da375a94661455accee55c5c216fb8792ccf2d169efa3295.jpg
c1286941fc1f1856da375a94661455accee55c5c216fb8792ccf2d169efa3295.jpg (47.97 KiB) Viewed 3973 times

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:44 pm

Waiting for some sweet sweet junos action.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
- Pete

gns3official

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Stephen here from GNS3 -

We knew putting out the Alpha would be a positive and a negative.

On one side we have users who understand that its the first release of the Alpha Version and that it wont be perfect - actually it may be far from it - but they want to dive into it, test it out, find bugs, report bugs, and start using the new features immediately.

On the other hand - we will have users that expect a perfect version on the first release - which, to be honest, is impossible to do as a very small <5 person team. Unfortunately, those people who want the software that will compete at the CML level will have to wait a couple of months for it.

But what we do promise is that we will continue to build better software, continually update bug fixes, and make it easier and more efficient to use GNS3. One day - possibly even sooner than expected - GNS3 will be a very polished and very robust platform - and it will be because of users who test out the software, find and report bugs, and make constructive criticisms that will make that possible.

For those of you who thought that this would be the final release of the software - I'm sorry that we mislead you with our campaign - we stated that we would release the software as we build it so that our community can be involved in it. If you truly have an issue with how we are doing this, please feel free to contact me at stephen@gns3.net and we can work on making this a better for you.

Thanks

seittit

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:25 am

gns3official wrote:Stephen here from GNS3 -

For those of you who thought that this would be the final release of the software - I'm sorry that we mislead you with our campaign - we stated that we would release the software as we build it so that our community can be involved in it. If you truly have an issue with how we are doing this, please feel free to contact me at stephen@gns3.net and we can work on making this a better for you.

Thanks

I wouldn't sweat it, the comments of bailing were tounge-in-cheek as we all recognize the what "alpha build" really entails. After all, Cisco has been telling us for years that IOS 15.x and NX-OS are stable builds, yet we still fight their bugs daily.

Keep up the good work, and please let us know if ARM processors will be supported soon.

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:28 pm

gns3official wrote:Stephen here from GNS3 -

Stuffs

Ya it is by no means a slam against GNS3....we all know it's alpha, what that entails and that's what the comments were directed at. This isn't my first time around the alpha block and I'd hazard a guess to say the community you find here would be among your best testing pool knowledge wise. So like seittit said, don't sweat it....I just like to complain :P

As a side note, I was finally able to get the windows install 100% up and running with all IOU images and IOS images working. Now that I know all the little steps and tweeks to make it happen it's not such a big deal. I'm a big fan and can't wait to see the full finished product. Or at least the next alpha release where we can connect IOS image devices(routers) to IOU image devices :cheers:

Axis
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:29 pm

dlots wrote:downloaded the windows stuff and fiddled around with it, but I don't have IOU installed so it really didn't do anything new for me, I tried the VM they have, but neither Virtual Box or VMware could open it. So there really wasn't much for me to see :-(

I was able to get virtual box to run the ova appliance, and someone just release an esxi version to use as well.

dlots
Post Whore
Certs:

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:03 am

Sorry Stephen I meant every word, GNS3 is dead to me because the Alpha was not as good as I think a final release should be, and even now I am deleting all my links to GNS3 and trying to figure out how to get my $$$ back from the kick starter... Wait... today is not 4/1. Durn it

I love GNS3 and I give it a lot of credit for my interest in networking, if you never ever released a new version I would consider the kick-starter money very well spent, thank you for giving us a great tool for both learning and teaching.

dhimes.com

'
Next

Return to Forum Lobby