Aironet, Access Points, Client Adapters and software, Mobile and Outdoor Wireless, Antennas.
FractuRe36
Certs:
Cert IV IT Programming. Cert III Gerneral IT.

Wireless Lag Spikes Every 5-10 Minutes

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:37 am

Hello networking-forum!

I have a problem with my wireless connection. I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit OS and bought a new NETGEAR genie router WNR2200. I am experiencing lag spikes in 1-2 second duration while playing games. These lag spikes freeze the game and send my ping sky high (ping 999ms). While browsing the interwebz I don't really notice the lag spikes because they are only a few seconds long.

Changes I have made (PC):
Disabled Client for Microsoft Networks
Disabled ANOD Network Security Filter driver
Disabled QoS Packet Scheduler
Disabled File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Disabled Internet Protocol Version 6
Disabled Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
Disabled Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder
Disabled Multimedia/Gaming Environment
Disabled WMM Capable
Disabled everything else in Network Connections -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced
Disabled power save on network adapter

Set static IP/subnet mask/gateway/DNS server for TCP/IPv4

Set WLAN AutoConfig to manual in Services.msc

Installed game booster 3
Installed Dr. TCP – Set MTU to 1464 & RWIN to 511104 on PC
Ran WLAN Optimizer
Reinstalled Wireless Adapter Driver (updated)

Changes I have made (Router):
Changed Wireless Channel to 09
Disabled SSID Broadcast for Guest Network
Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection
Disable IGMP Proxying
NAT Filtering set to Open
Disable SIP ALG
Disabled WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings
Set MTU to 1492

Extra Info:
Fragmentation Length (256-2346): 2346
CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347): 2347
Preamble Mode: Auto
Security: WPA2-PSK [AES]
Mode: Up to 300Mbps

After all these changes and tweaks I still get the exact same problem I started out with. The above changes were recommended by users of random forums to fix wireless lag spikes. If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE respond to this thread.
P.S. Using a cat5 cable is not preferred (and perhaps not possible) as I am renting from random people and the router is on the other side of the house. My wireless signal is strong.

Thanks,
-FractuRe

timhalo
Certs:
CCNP, CCIP, JNCIS-ENT, M&M, PB&J, etc.

Re: Wireless Lag Spikes Every 5-10 Minutes

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:48 am

I just briefly googled.
The types of different fixes for similarly described problem are wide.
Like a dude on youtube talking about compatability mode fixed it for him; or another person saying what worked was to explicitly match up wireless modes.
Additionally on this forum someone was talking about buffer bloat.. So maybe you can try to high priority your game (qos on netgear).

Beyond that some further narrowing couldn't hurt.

Can you even hard wire, just as a temporary test? To confirm or eliminate the wireless aspect.

By recently installed Win7 and bought the Netgear, you don't know if it's one, both, or the other. So does it work with different o/s and with the Netgear. Can you run through the combinations?

Does problem remain when other users aren't using (asleep, at work)?

Do you get jitter/studders in streaming netflix, hulu, etc...

What else to narrow the scope? Can't think of anything right now.

FractuRe36
Certs:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:45 am

timhalo wrote:Beyond that some further narrowing couldn't hurt.

I have a netbook which is running Win7 Home Premium. What could I use for an accurate test? This netbook hasn't got much processing power and has only 1 gig of RAM. Playing games is a good test because I am so involved in the game when the 1-2 lag spike occurs I notice it straight away (obviously) but my netbook isn't powerful enough to run any online games and it even struggles buffering live videos as it has to process the video. I was thinking maybe like a radio application which streams live audio? Any other suggestions?

Just tried Blog TV streams on this PC but for some reason the net is going really slow at the moment (usually 600kbs now its running @ 40-100kbs).

Thanks,
-FractuRe

FractuRe36
Certs:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:50 am

Ok, weird. I'm getting pings of 2000ms in-game now and all I have done was moved the router into the computer room (which is on the other side of the house).

I decided to test if it were signal problems that was causing the problem by moving the router to a central location in the house but the problem was still present. Moved the router back and all of the sudden the internet speed has gone to sh*t.

What the hell man?! :(

EDIT: Tested the wired PC's internet speed, it also has issues so it doesn't have anything to do with lack of signal.
EDIT: Speed is back to normal again, weird. So so so weird. I hate technology sometimes :p.

timhalo
Certs:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:00 am

isn't powerful enough to run any online games

...and yet

and send my ping sky high (ping 999ms)

Or are you talking about LAN gaming? If not, what's your wireless got to do with it?
But if so (re: lan), I guess try those couple things mentioned previously couldn't hurt (the youtube dude and/or specifically setting your radio mode).
Because you've already tried a lot anyway.

Not quite following you. Do you mention the netbook because that's a secondary computer, something you could go hard wire?
Or is that the computer in question (the one and only)?

timhalo
Certs:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:03 am

ah..i see your update.
Yes, you will want to control your 'test scope'.

Move elements in & out of the test in order to narrow.

So if you had a computer hardwired to the netgear, that is wired to the 'random people' equipment then thats one thing, but something else if the netgear is the only router serving the house.

FractuRe36
Certs:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Okay so I put my netbook on to stream a live BlogTV broadcast, while I did this I played a game and waited for the lag spike. When the spike hit I checked the live stream to see if it skipped at all but it still ran perfectly smooth. Is this test accurate enough?

I think I may have confused you with the previous posts. My PC is wireless, quite far from the router. My netbook is also wireless (thought I could test it wired if need be). I can't test my PC wired because people I'm renting from probably wouldn't be happy. However, they have a PC I can use to test the connection, their PC is wired. So when I said I tested a wired PC I meant their PC and I only tested the speed, not any lag spikes.

Now I have seen that my netbook doesn't spike with wireless I think it is safe to say it is just my PC alone. UNLESS BlogTV isn't an accurate enough test. I could test streaming live radio if you think so, but I always thought anything streaming live would spike if there was a problem with the router

timhalo
Certs:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:24 pm

Can't say I'm familiar enough with traffic throughput of video streaming vs gaming to answer correctly.
I guess I was wanting to get an idea of any app with this problem or just some specific application.
If you can't bypass the wireless to plug up the gaming PC in question, then you can just focus on win7 and/or netgear configuration to try & resolve.
(Less you can test a different wifi router).

I'd say try what that youtube guy (link in prev post) suggested.
When I mentioned radio, I meant I saw some website talking about explicitly configuring both windows & the router for a single wireless mode (b, g, or n).
Does that netgear serve as the internet router for the whole house?
Or is that yours and it plugs into those other peoples router?

FractuRe36
Certs:

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:58 pm

timhalo wrote:I guess I was wanting to get an idea of any app with this problem or just some specific application.

It happens in any application where it requires constant live stream (online multiplayer games). To narrow it down further, I've played recently Heroes of Newerth, GMod, CS:S and TF2 and they all have the same problem. I haven't tried anything other than games though, it would be helpful to test another application which needs live stream (but not processor heavy) so I can also test my netbook.

timhalo wrote:I'd say try what that youtube guy (link in prev post) suggested.
When I mentioned radio, I meant I saw some website talking about explicitly configuring both windows & the router for a single wireless mode (b, g, or n).

I can't see those modes (b, g or n) on my router. I do have a "mode" setting but the settings for it are: Up to 300Mbps, Up to 145Mbps and Up to 54Mbps (I've set mine to 145Mbps, was on 300Mbps before).

The "youtube guy" solution was to run in compatibility mode right? I ran it in vista SP2 but to no prevail.

timhalo wrote:Does that netgear serve as the internet router for the whole house?

Yes

timhalo wrote:Or is that yours and it plugs into those other peoples router?

No, just one router. We may still have the old one but I think it may be broken.

Something that has just occurred to me is that in the past I have had trouble with wireless and it turned out to be another wireless appliance in the house causing interference (E.G. and wireless phone). I do have a wireless phone so I'll turn that off and check the problem again, my question is do you guys know of any other house-hold appliances that may cause interference?

timhalo
Certs:

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Yeah I checked my laptop & didn't see anything specific for wireless modes. Just speed.
So as you have tried, match up a certain speed, say 54mb to having your router set only to G mode.

As for other wireless devices....hmm..... cell phone, cordless phone, bluetooth devices (earpiece, ps3 remote, headphones, etc..).

A friend had a problem in which periodic wireless disconnects (but not brief high latency). I'll post that up when I hear back. (But it was winxp).

FractuRe36
Certs:

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Yaha! I found a fix :D.
I swapped out my D-Link DWA525 adapter with a NETGEAR WPN311 adapter and voila ! No lag spikes!

Thanks heaps timhalo for your input so glad I finally can game lag free haha :).

Cheers,
-FractuRe

timhalo
Certs:

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:16 am

Cool...thats good stuff.
Talk about brand lockin!

'

Return to Cisco Wireless