General technical discussions.
Holtymet
Certs:
CCNA 1, CCNA2, BSc Computer Networks UnderGrad

Final Year Project Ideas?

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 am

After careful consideration I have decided not to go ahead with a project idea that I had previously thought of.
This now leaves me stuck to find a new project idea.
My problem is that I don't want something such as the usual 're-design a company network' or 'Research IPv6' however my mind is blank!

I quite enjoy security and wi-fi,
Please could you help suggest some ideas?

Holtymet

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Re: Final Year Project Ideas?

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:54 am

There are so many topics of people asking EXACTLY the same question over and over again

baybars
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security, 642-902

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:01 am

What I did was on IPv6 Security. It was a lame-ass project but they liked it, mostly because they didn't have an idea.

Holtymet
Certs:

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:05 am

It seems hard to find a good networking-related project that hasn't already been done by the previous years students!

mellowd, I just thought asking networking professionals, such as yourself, will give me the best chance of finding a suitable project.
My tutors are of very little help!

haccduder
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:23 am

Holtymet wrote:It seems hard to find a good networking-related project that hasn't already been done by the previous years students!

mellowd, I just thought asking networking professionals, such as yourself, will give me the best chance of finding a suitable project.
My tutors are of very little help!

Redesigning networks has probably been done and redone. Security too to a lesser extent. If you want to impress, demonstrate an attack. There was a nasty bit on network world floating around about an IPv6 bug that crashes windows and OSX machines connected to the same segment (think wifi access point). You'll need backtrack linux to demonstrate it unless you fully understand the problem and have some impressive python skills in your pocket. If you want to go uber technical, talk about a protocol.

All this with a grain of salt though, Seeing as most people can't manage their own computers without filing them full of taskbars and adware, The people grading this will likely have no clue what your talking, so you could just make shit up and they'd be none the wiser.

haccduder
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:31 am

found it, my bad it was windows/juniper, not windows/osx

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/0 ... -ipv6.html

some more

http://samsclass.info/ipv6/proj/flood-router6a.htm

enjoy

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:15 am

Assuming this is for school? My last year..... 2010, I did a presentation on ipv6.. my teacher said we wont have to worry about that until another 5-10 years ha.
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

dude_
Certs:
CCNP

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:28 am

baybars wrote:mostly because they didn't have an idea.

+1
Don't try to come up with most fascinating idea/title. Just choose a relatively simple topic, and dig deep.
They'll be simply amazed at your config snipets and fancy topology diagrams if they aren't network minded. This has always worked for me.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:55 am

dude_ wrote:

+1
Don't try to come up with most fascinating idea/title. Just choose a relatively simple topic, and dig deep.
They'll be simply amazed at your config snipets and fancy topology diagrams if they aren't network minded. This has always worked for me.

isn't that what one does to get a PHD, take some stupid iota detail about something and become the worlds foremost expert on that detail.
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

vivek283
CCIE #17621
Certs:
CCIE - Security, R&S. RHCE.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:16 am

I like what haccduder said. Probably go with Struxnet. Not sure if you get a chance to show them some live action. If you do, try and demonstrate a good hack using metasploit or something ?

Holtymet
Certs:

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:25 am

vivek283 wrote:I like what haccduder said. Probably go with Struxnet. Not sure if you get a chance to show them some live action. If you do, try and demonstrate a good hack using metasploit or something ?

What would this involve me doing as part of my project though? would I try to bring down a network or protect against an attack?

Do you not think it's more forensic project opposed to networking?

Fred
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDP

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:44 pm

I suggested this in another thread, and I think it's a good idea. You should demonstrate how easy Man-in-the-Middle attacks are on a LAN, and then show how to implement DHCP Snooping, ARP Inspection, and source verification, and then show how they protect against the attack.

expaddy
Post Whore
Certs:
BSc computer network administration, CCNP, MCSE

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:40 am

What's wrong with upgrading a current network to IPV6?
It's current and can be shown to employers after you finish college.
A final year project is not about being smart, it's about showing your mastery in a subject area.
So what if someone has done it before, do it better :cheers:
Good Luck,

David

vivek283
CCIE #17621
Certs:
CCIE - Security, R&S. RHCE.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:25 am

Holtymet wrote:What would this involve me doing as part of my project though? would I try to bring down a network or protect against an attack?

Either go into the details of struxnet. Can't demo it ofcourse.

or

Take a simple attack, something that can be easily simulated in the lab (SQL injection, Trojan based etc.. and no DDoS please) and include a small demo. Thinking about infecting your teacher's machine for the demo sounds nice :twisted: With their permission ofcourse :lol:

dude_
Certs:
CCNP

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:25 am

ristau5741 wrote:
dude_ wrote:

+1

isn't that what one does to get a PHD, take some stupid iota detail about something and become the worlds foremost expert on that detail.

People can also be cured sometimes due to somebody's stupid iota detail. But it isn't really what I meant anyway

Dan-
Certs:
CCNA

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:06 pm

When I did mine, I chose to implement VoIP using Trixbox/Asterisk PBX and Call Manager Express.
Show the difference between the two, and have a live lab running to present.
IT was pretty fun, I even tied the PBX to a live phone line and I called someones cell phone during the presentation.

monkey

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:11 am

Take a look at Software Defined Networking/OpenFlow, unlimited potential for interesting projects:

http://www.openflow.org/

Agent Zed
Certs:
CCNA, CCNP

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:22 am

Academic progress - more and more indepth knowledge in constantly narrowing subject ... untill you know everything about nothing :twisted:

yeah .. i did learn everyting there is to know about DNS and DHCP v6 and implementation problems on wide range of OS and router/switch... my jury was most impressed

Holtymet
Certs:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:34 am

Thanks a lot for your input guys!
I have a full year (as I am on placement ATM) to research my options and see what new technology comes out!
I'm sure this will give me a great advantage.

'

Return to General Tech