All home networking related discussions.
Petter

(SOLVED) Wake on Lan timeout problem.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:30 am

Hi!

I have a Wake on lan problem that I cannot figure out, so I hope some of you can help me. The setup is as follows:

DSL router: Thomson ST546, dynamic IP from ISP, but running dyndns.org. I have configured the router to forward port 7 to 10.0.0.1 (Both UDP and TCP).

Computer: Running Windows 7, professional edition, static IP on lan: 10.0.0.1
Motherboard on computer is an ASUS P5B. Cannot remember BIOS version, think I updated it last year. I have wake on PCI and PCI-E enabled in BIOS.

PSU brand is Corsair. I use the network adapter on the motherboard.

iPhone 3GS connected through WiFi or 3G running iWOL app

Now, the WOL works beatifully right after I shut down computer (S5). But for some reason, if I let it stay shut down over night (6-8 hours), the WOL doesn't work in the morning. If I manually start the computer, and then shut down again, the WOL works once more. When I try to send the magic packet in the morning I get this in my router log:

FIREWALL rule: Protocoll: UDP Src ip: XX.X.X.XXX Src port 49156 Dst ip: 10.0.0.1 Dst port: 7 Chain: forward_host_service Rule Id: 4 Action accept

I don't know what this acctually means, but the computer doesn't wake up. It seems to me that there is some sort of internal time-out that makes the network adapter unable to act on reception of the magic packet after some time. But this is just my speculation. The problem seems very concistent too, so I don't think its just coincidence. Can anyone help me?
Last edited by Petter on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

annikkexe
Certs:
CCENT

Re: Need help with weird Wake on Lan problem.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:55 am

I did some experiments with Wake on Lan once, mainly for my own curiosity.

I was able to successfully wake my computer up, when it was sitting 10 yards across the room on a laptop, by sending a magic packet across teh internets.

Then, very excited, I shut the computer down again, and tried to wake it a second time. On the second occasion it didn't work. Nothing had changed from the first occasion.

It seemed highly temperamental. My (perhaps hasty) conclusion was that the wake on lan support on that motherboard/NIC was poor. To date I have never seen a reliable Wake On Lan solution, although that's possibly just because I don't have a particular need to use it.

By the way, your firewall log would seem to me to indicate that the packet was received, and passed successfully to whatever destination you've configured for it.

Petter

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:01 am

Thanks for a quick reply. So what you're saying is that it seems that the router is doing its job...then there should be something that happens with my NIC/power etc confined to the computer itself.

A comment on the volatility of WOL: I've never set up WOL before, but my experience so far is that Wake both on LAN and internet works every time except when the computer has been off for some time.

annikkexe
Certs:
CCENT

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 am

Yes that is what I am saying, presuming the log entry was a case where the computer did not switch on despite a magic packet being sent. (though I could be wrong... it has been known before..)

If you try to send a magic packet and the computer doesn't switch on, check the log to make sure you see a similar message - to ensure it really isn't the router that is at fault.

Like I said WoL seems hugely temperamental to me, the little experience I had with it put me off trying it again anytime soon.

As you probably already know, the way WoL works is that when the computer shuts down, it continues to supply power to the NIC. The NIC sits there, quietly waiting for a "magic packet" to arrive, signifying that it's time to switch the computer on.

If you open up the chassis of a "switched off" computer that has WoL enabled, you can often still see LED's on the NIC lit up, indicating it is ready to be woken.

There are settings to enable WoL in your NIC properties in Windows (or whatever OS you're using), there are also often WoL settings on the motherboard's BIOS. If the router seems to be doing a good job, I would target those areas next in your investigation. One thing you could try, is leaving the computer off for a long time... then check if the LEDs on the NIC are still lit, indicating that it has power. If they are not, then something is going wrong - the WoL is timing out or something.

WoL interests me, so I'd love to hear how you get on, if you'd be so good as to keep us updated. :>

Petter

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 am

The log transcript above is from this morning, and the computer did not power up. I seem to recall that the same message was displayed the times that the computer did power up, though. I will check the LED light as you adviced tomorrow morning.

Windows 7 settings: I have checked that all Wake on Lan settings are set to enable (in network adapter properties).

annikkexe
Certs:
CCENT

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Check the power settings too, in the NIC properties - same menu as you found the WoL settings, just a different tab.

Here's how it looks on Win XP:

Tick the top 2 boxes :>

Petter

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:14 pm

I've allready been to this tab when setting up my WOL in the first place. However, I have checked all three boxes. In my Windows 7 it looks like this:

The wording is a little different, but I think it should be the same thing.

Petter

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:02 am

So I opened up the computer, and there was no light at all near the ethernet port (remember, I'm using the network adapter embedded in the motherboard).

The motherboard itself has a green led in one of the corners close to the SATA-ports, but that stayed on for the whole night. I believe that this LED stays on as long as there is power to the motherboard.

Hard to say what I should do next. Maybe I need a seperate network PCI-card or something. Any advice on this?

EDIT: Needless to say, my computer didn't wake up this morning either. Same log on the router, though, so it seems that it's forwarding the magic packet correctly.

annikkexe
Certs:
CCENT

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:00 am

Hard to say what I should do next. Maybe I need a seperate network PCI-card or something. Any advice on this?

You've basically hit the same brick wall as I did. I didn't need to figure it out, so I pretty much gave up at that point. :P
I did try an actual PCI NIC though, rather than the motherboard's onboard NIC... it still seemed just as temperamental as before though.

Petter

Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:36 pm

Ok, time for a little update. It has been a while since I first had this problem, and I had given it all up. I recently visited a friend and told him about the WOL. He was interested in having his iMac woken up over internet. So I set that up for him. The weird thing that happened to me also happened to him, only this time the WOL stopped working in a matter of 1 hour or so. I noticed that we had the same router brand (SpeedTouch), allthough he had a wi-fi router and I don't.

So I started looking into it again. This time I found that something called "ARP cache list" might have something to do with the problem. I don't understand the full concept, but it looks like this is a list of all devices connected to the router. Whenever the router looses contact with a device it deletes it from the list after some time. This way the magic packet won't be routed to the intended computer some time after computer shutdown.

What I have done now is the following:

1) Opened telnet on a different computer connected to the same router. My primary computer was disconnected from the router at this point. A note on this: I guess that I could have used the primary computer by changing the ip-address to something other than 10.0.0.1 prior to telneting. I ran into the problem where the router updates the arp automatically before I got around to typing in the addarp-command. This way the entry stays tagged as dynamic, and I won't be able to change it to static. Changing the ip to let's say 10.0.0.2 would probably let me work on adding the 10.0.0.1 as static without the router messing it up.
2) "telnet 10.0.0.138" (My router)
3) Put in username/password
4) "ip arplist" (This gives me all the devices in the list, I saw that all devices had been tagged as DYNAMIC. Now I wanted to change it to STATIC)
5) "ip arpdelete intf=LocalNetwork ip 10.0.0.1 hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" (where the x's are the mac adress of my computer)
6) "ip arpadd intf=LocalNetwork ip 10.0.0.1 hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
7) Now when I list the arplist using "ip arplist" my computer is tagged as STATIC.

Hopfully this will keep my router from loosing the address after computer shutdown. We will see tomorrow :-)
Last edited by Petter on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Petter

Re: Need help with weird Wake on Lan problem (Possibly solve

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:14 am

This morning my computer woke after sending the magic packet over 3G using my iphone. The trick seems to have worked. I still need to verify some more, but it looks like the problem is solved :-)

Edit 21. of july: Still working this morning.
Edit 25. of july: It keeps on working every single time, problem definitely solved!

Petter

Re: (SOLVED) Wake on Lan timeout problem.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:07 am

Since my last post, I've had some router problems where I needed to reboot the router (power off, then on). In case some of you out there fixed your WOL problems using info in this thread, be aware that my router lost its arp settings after reboot. I had to do the whole process once again.

If anyone has the ability to write an executable script to make this process a "1-click" experience, or if anyone can point me in the direction of such a tutorial, I would be very happy.

andr3w

Re: (SOLVED) Wake on Lan timeout problem.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Well (since you were so kind as to post detailed posts about your experience) even though it's years later, I'll post a response to your question about automating the process after a reboot of your router. IF (and only if) all of the pieces that you need to put together can be run from the cmd line, you could:

1. Right click somewhere (Desktop, explorer window, etc.) and create a new .txt file. In the text file, insert the string of commands that need to be run, separating each by a line break, with one command on each line.
2. Change the extension of the file from .txt to .bat and be sure to confirm that you're okay with the file turning into a batch file.
3. If the task you're performing is something that requires administrative credentials to perform, a simple double click of the file may not suffice. You might need to right click on the batch file that you've created, and select "Run as administrator".
4. I like to put a PAUSE command at the end of my batch file so I can see what happened incase things flash by really fast.

It takes an extra moment to create the file, save it, change it's extension, and test it, but batch files are really a huge time saver in the long run. Pushing them out to machines is even more of a time saver (in an enterprise environment).

I'm not going to bother with screenshots or anything, but I guess if I somehow get notified that you (or someone) responded to this post requesting more info, I can provide more details about any of the steps for creating a batch file (but not necessarily about the code needed to perform the task that the thread was originally about).

Hope this helps someone even if not the original poster.

'

Return to Home Networking