RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, VTP, STP.
escaflown4

Cisco 6500 Route Map Help

Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:06 pm

I need some assistance for the following problem.

We have upgraded two Cisco 6513 switches from IOS 12.2(18) SXE4 to 12.2(33) SXH5. These are our collapse core switches in our network topology. Besides the IOS, nothing else has changed. The running configs were saved before the upgrade as standard procedure to make sure no configs were lost during the process. Once the switch has been rebooted to the new image, two of our route maps stopped working. Sniffer sessions show traffic being stopped at the core switch. Remember that nothing else has been changed besides the IOS. After consulting with Cisco tech support, they think the new IOS might be faulty and advised us to fall back on the old image. After this was done, the route map problem still persist. I'm not sure whether I should call Cisco again as they have already gone over my configs line by line and do not see any problems. Have anyone experience this problem before or have any ideas what might be causing this?

Vito_Corleone
Certs:
CCNP RS, CCNP DC, CCDP, CCIP

Re: Cisco 6500 Route Map Help

Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:49 pm

Describe the actual issue and post the route-map or the whole config.
http://blog.alwaysthenetwork.com

escaflown4

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:28 am

Well I don't mind posting the route map configurations that are experiencing problems along with the ACLs associated with them, but I will need to modify all the IP addresses. Before I even do that, I just want to know if anyone here have had an experience where upgrading an IOS would make some of your existing route maps not work anymore. This is the first time I have encountered this and Cisco also seemed to be dumbfounded by this problem as well.

krupi

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:24 pm

We've run into problems with route-maps with the SXH train.

PBR behavior seemed to have changed when jumping to SXH; I thought this was supposed to have been fixed since SXH3a though...
If I remember correctly, we were using a route-map to do simple PBR (acl match then set next-hop to another IP) and the IOS stopped doing the required ARP lookup for the next-hop.
Our workaround was to configure a static arp entry for that next-hop ip address.
Edit: Here's the bug id: CSCsm08087

Not sure if it was the same issue, but we also faced a bug with route-map application on SXH where if you have a FWSM in that 6500, not having the "monitor session service" command would break the pbr (TCAM issues). Checkout CSCsl39710.

Edit: There's been quite a few issues with route-maps in SXH if you search the bug toolkit... I wouldn't even be surprised if you stumbled upon a new one...

escaflown4

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:51 pm

krupi wrote:We've run into problems with route-maps with the SXH train.

PBR behavior seemed to have changed when jumping to SXH; I thought this was supposed to have been fixed since SXH3a though...
If I remember correctly, we were using a route-map to do simple PBR (acl match then set next-hop to another IP) and the IOS stopped doing the required ARP lookup for the next-hop.
Our workaround was to configure a static arp entry for that next-hop ip address.
Edit: Here's the bug id: CSCsm08087

Not sure if it was the same issue, but we also faced a bug with route-map application on SXH where if you have a FWSM in that 6500, not having the "monitor session service" command would break the pbr (TCAM issues). Checkout CSCsl39710.

Edit: There's been quite a few issues with route-maps in SXH if you search the bug toolkit... I wouldn't even be surprised if you stumbled upon a new one...

I'll definitely have to investigate this bug as the route maps that stopped working are also simple match acl next hop types. However, what throws me off is the fact that this problem still persists when we reverted back to the old SXE image. I'll try the workaround to see if it will fix the problem. Thanks

'

Return to Cisco Routing and Switching