VoIP, Cisco Unity, Cisco Call Manager, MeetingPlace, IP Phones, AS5350, AS5400.
maxx

IP Communicator over wireless connection

Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:45 pm

I know using the Cisco IP Communicator over a wireless connection is not the most ideal scenario, but this particular issue has me wanting to find a resolution.

This issue may not be directly related to the Cisco IP Communicator software, but I figured I would post it here.

Laptop - HP 6715b
Software - Cisco IP Communicator on Windows XP Pro (32 bit)
Headset - Plantronics USB to QD adapter with Plantronics H251N headset

The laptop is connecting to the site that hosts the Call Manager via a SonicWALL Global VPN Client (connecting to a SonicWALL Pro 3060 router).

The VPN connections work both wired and wireless.

The Cisco IP Communicator software loads and registers both wired and wireless. The softphone works fine wired, however when it is wireless, there is only 1 way audio.

The user of the IP Communicator can hear the remote party, however the remote party cannot hear the person using the IP Communicator.

I've tried this with 2 routers (Linksys WRT54G and a SMC Networks 7004VWBR), same results, works fine wired but one way audio when wireless.

When wireless the computer has no problem accessing the Call Managers or any host in the remote networks.

Anyone run into something similar?

DanC
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA-W, CCNP

Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:38 pm

Ive also had this problem using IP Communicator over a VPN, haven't figured it out yet

bsdrocker
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Is this an internal call - or out a gateway?

You have to remember the call manager is only used for call signaling - the actual phone conversation happens between end-points (phone, gateway, etc).

So the wireless CIPC can reach the end-point - but the end-point is having a problem reaching the CIPC it looks like.

Hope all this helps in your troubleshooting.

Cheers,

Josh

kneelo
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA-V, CCNP

Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:21 am

just a hunch but would it have anything to do with wireless connections being half duplex??

When a wireless client connects to a wireless access point, isn't communication half-duplex??

Just putting it out there.......

devinkinch

Firewall...

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:33 am

I have setup CIPC using wireless over a VPN tunnel to an ISR router without issue. I suspect the firewall may be blocking the return audio. Check you firewall log to see if that is the case. You may even want to try adding a temporary rule to allow UDP 16384 - 32767.

Hope that helps.

'

Return to Cisco Voice and Video