All home networking related discussions.
Jacob92

Setting up VPN

Sat May 05, 2012 7:04 am

Hi everyone,

I want to set up VPN at home so my friends can access network shares on my LAN and stuff. I have used this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s5JxMG06L4&feature=related so users are set up, and port forwarding on router is done as well. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, and VPN is set up on this machine. The issue is that my friends cannot connect to my VPN from another Windows machine. When they try to connect it is asking them for user and password but later on after authentication they receive error 720 which says connection could not be established.

When I went to the network connections and then to the properties of VPN (incoming connections) it says no hardware capable of accepting calls is installed.

I understand if there is capable hardware, obviously incoming connections cannot be accepted, but it is so weird for me as I thought VPN does not require you to have special hardware.

james_wright
Certs:
none yet :)

Re: Setting up VPN

Sat May 05, 2012 8:30 am

Jacob92 : Why dont you use something like Hamachi? Its free, an I can highly recommend it.
Take a peek at this tuts, part 1 and 2.
http://onsoftware.en.softonic.com/logmein-hamachi-file-sharing

Jacob92

Sat May 05, 2012 8:55 am

Well, I've heard using Hamachi VPN has many downsides such as slow data transfer speed (free version), and ping 100-1000ms, as commercial one have ping between 40-60ms. I would like to allow my friends to access my server, without using additional software. They have an access through the FTP, but it would be so nice if they could become part of my network..

james_wright
Certs:

Sat May 05, 2012 9:30 am

Huh, Ive never problems with it. Okay then, can you confirm that you've created a PPTP adapter (network connections)?

Jacob92

Sat May 05, 2012 9:54 am

How do I create PPTP adapter in network connections? I don't think I have done it.

james_wright
Certs:

Sat May 05, 2012 10:17 am

Go ->
Net & Sharing Centre -> Manage Net Connections
On that window go to File (If the File isn't vissible, press Alt), and choose New Incoming Connection
In the wizard select and check the user (create a new one for your friend or whatever), go next and check Through the internet. Make sure that the TCP/IP and File sharing options are checked on the next screen. You should see the incoming connection adapter appear. This SHOULD solve the no hardware capable of accepting VPN calls problem. Then, ask your friend to reconnect and see what happens.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Sat May 05, 2012 10:23 am

Please don't double post. I've deleted your duplicate post.

Jacob92

Sat May 05, 2012 10:38 am

This is what I did to set up VPN. Still have the same issue what no hardware capable of accepting VPN calls.
I have ticked TCP/IP v4 ale file sharing options as well. Any ideas?

james_wright
Certs:

Sat May 05, 2012 11:15 am

Okay then. Check your router. You need to open TCP port 1723 (PPTP) towards your VPN servers IP address. Better yet, see if you have something like a PPTP service for the incoming WAN connections on your router.

Jacob92

Sat May 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Well I have forwarded TCP port 1723 towards my VPN server IP address, and I have checked my router services, and PPTP is also enabled. Please see the screenshots below.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9462/portforwarding.png
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6889/serviceste.png
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/493/vpni.png

james_wright
Certs:

Sat May 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Well, the only thing I can think of is for you to repaint yout tcpip stack. Run cmd as admin and use
netsh int ip reset. Youll need to restart your computer afterwards.

Jacob92

Sat May 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Guess what! Hah, it works. Command fixed it. They can connect to the VPN and I can see incomming connections, but they can't access network shares. I mean they don't see them, and in network connections it says NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Why is it?

Also I went onto cmd ipconfig/all onto one of my friends pc's, and it says DHCP enabled - no, and there is no default gateway as well.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VPN connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

As you can see, he doesn't have default gateway filled in so he's not getting IP by the router. We made a static IP but it doesnt work. My VPN server has DHCP enabled..

'

Return to Home Networking