All home networking related discussions.
AkashnJ22

Need help with wireless networking

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi Everyone, thank you for opening and taking time to read this post, I really need your advise. My family runs a guest house, next to our main house where we live. The main house has Fios with a Verizon Fios MI424WR Modem. We have two Netgear GS608NA 8-Port Gigabit Switches, one in the basement of the main house, the other in the basement of the guest house. Both houses are equipped to have Fios in every room, the main house has wireless in every room except for the room with the modem, which bewilders me. However the guest house only gets wireless in the kitchen, which is in direct line of sight of the main house. Every other room gets wired internet but not wireless. A lot of our guests have iPad's and smartphones and want the ability to use them wirelessly throughout the house. We tried using a wireless extender back when we had DSL but it lagged the XBOX in the main house. I don't know whether we would have the same problem with Fios but I am hesitant to try it. I've been looking at Wireless Routers and Wireless Adapters, the Adapters say they can connect HDTV's and Blurays to the wired network but make no mention of smartphone or smart device compatibility. Should I just get a wireless adapter? Should I replace the two switches with wireless routers? Should I see if I can find the wireless extender and try that again? I really have no idea what I should do and would like the advice, of you the experts. Thank you again for your help and advise, I really appreciate it. Take Care and I hope your having a great day.
Best,
Jason

Alan87i

Re: Need help with wireless networking

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Just use cheapo wireless routers say TP-link for example.
Plug them in 1 or two of the rooms in the guest house.
The only think too watch out for is if there lan ip address is with in the same subnet as the main network. IE the 3rd set of numbers or number.
You could set each one up with a static lan address that is not part of the main routers dhcp pool and plug them in with one of the lan stitch ports and not the wan port.

'

Return to Home Networking