IPv6 design, deployment, standards, and best practices.
ochieman
Certs:
CCNA

Implications of IPv6 from v4

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Hello,

I am finishing up a senior level class on TCP/IP and we have an essay questions asking us about the implications of changing from IPv4 to IPv6. I am not looking for you to do the work obviously but a direction to go in. Google that exact phrase "IPv4 to IPv6 Implications" and you come up with some RFC's I read about port scanning and a few other topics. Any other direction I can research would be appreciated. I am new to IPv6 that I am not sure how it would impact a organization, as I understand the basics of how it works in comparision but since I myself have not entered the "real world" not sure whats good/bad.

Organization is a University Setting. Email/Databases/WiFi/Web Servers/FTP/DNS Server/ect...

=) Thanks for any tid bits ya leave

comptech
Certs:
CCNA, 642-902

Re: Implications of IPv6 from v4

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:30 pm

This might give you some more directions to take:
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security ... hreats.pdf

baybars
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security, 642-902

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:15 am

The important question is "for who?".

For end-users and for small networks, there will be almost no change and almost no implication.

The biggest global implication is, it will enable us not to think about IP address depletion for a very long time. It will obsolete NAT (in the long term).

makhshev
Certs:
CCNA, Security+

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:59 pm

another question to think about would be if what they have now for hardware supports IPv6. What do they have and what will they need in order to implement IPv6 in their network.

Agent Zed
Certs:
CCNA, CCNP

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:19 am

How much will it cost, and what incentive is there to dish the money out? Staff training, software development, hardware upgrades?

'

Return to IPv6