IPv6 design, deployment, standards, and best practices.
john10001
Certs:
java

Difference between IPv4 and IPv6

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:51 am

Hi every one, I am new to networking. Can any one tell me the major difference between IPv4 and IPv6

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Re: Difference between IPv4 and IPv6

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:56 am

john10001 wrote:Hi every one, I am new to networking. Can any one tell me the major difference between IPv4 and IPv6

it is a completely different protocol. the biggest, ipv4 uses 32 bit address space, IPv6 uses 128 bit address space. as I stated first, there are many differences as it is a completely different protocol.
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA R&S, CCNP Security, BCEB, MOSMWNMTK

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:13 am

john10001 wrote:Hi every one, I am new to networking. Can any one tell me the major difference between IPv4 and IPv6

To use !Pv6, you have to multiply all your IPv4 addresses by 1.5 in all 3 dimensions, giving, ultimately a need for a 108-bit address space. To make that more bit-friendly, clever engineers added another 10 bits in the fourth dimension, giving a full 128-bit address time-space continuum. Most folks still call it an address "space", even though it is no longer just a 3D protocol like IPv4. IPv6 allows one to address any location at any particular moment in time, making a necessary first step in the quest to allow mankind the luxury of being able to travel through time.

Strict IPv6 addressing is needed when traveling through time and space simultaneously, but if you are physically present at the spot where you wish to engage in time travel, you can travel much more easily by using the link local prefix. Saves SO much hassle, provided you can be at that spot, like I said.

This is why you hardly ever hear of anyone complaining about how they accidentally brought down an IPv6 network: the admins are able to travel back in time, to before they made a mistake, and start over, aware of what precautions are necessary to avoid that mistake. All they have to do is record the exact time-space address of where they are when they start the changes, and they essentially have a save point in time that they can refer back to.

Those that fail to take such precautions, however, usually make another classic IPv6 blunder: that of wiping themselves and their networks out of the time-space continuum. Fortunately, damage is limited by provisions in IPv6 to fall back to an IPv4 network when an error state in time-space is detected. All the people at the local company ever notice is that, for some odd reason, they have an opening for a network administrator.

IPv6 is quite good fun to learn about, and I recommend it to all young networking professionals hoping to get ahead in the world.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

http://www.networking-forums.com

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | IT'S NOT THE FIREWALL!!!

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA Security, CCNP, CCDP

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Those germans will never know what hit them.
http://reggle.wordpress.com

2fst4u
Certs:
CCNA 1-4

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 pm

The main difference is this:
Back in the day of IPv4, you could Google this question and it would give you a really easy to understand answer. However now that we're hoping to use IPv6 everywhere, the main thing to note is that you can still Google this question and the exact same answer will be given.

BirgitMeier
Certs:
post graduation

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:44 am

If you are using Internet or almost any computer network you will likely using IPv4 packets. IPv4 uses 32-bit source and destination address fields. We are actually running out of addresses but have not fear, the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is here with IPv6. The IPv6 packet doesn't look much like its IPv4 cousin, except for the leading version field. The IPv6 address fields are 128-bits. The larger address space is one reason to migrate to IPv6 but there are many more differences that give IPv6 an advantage. For example, the header checksum field has been eliminated because transport reliability has gone up and its overhead was unnecessary.

BirgitMeier
Certs:
post graduation

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:19 am

adsatseyrxygd

alijan
Certs:
ccna

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:52 am

what is aim and objective of migration from ipv4 to ipv6?

logavanig
Certs:
best project certificate

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:51 am

The Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) is a protocol for use on packet-switched Link Layer networks (e.g. Ethernet). IPv4 provides an addressing capability of approximately 4.3 billion addresses. The Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is more advanced and has better features compared to IPv4.
Thanks & Regards...
iOS Training in Chennai

shilpamary
Certs:
networks

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:04 am

The biggest challenge in networking is getting to know the boundaries of the network. It is mandatory to know where IP address starts and ends in the network.

IPV4 - It is the fourth version in the development of the internet protocol (IP). It is one of the core protocols of the standard based internetworking methods in the internet. It has three classes namely, Class A, Class B and Class C with different range of IP addresses.

IPV6 - It is the most recently used IP address across the internet. The communication protocol that provides an identification and location system for computers on networks and routes traffic across the internet.
Compared to IPV4, IPV6 has larger address space with 128 bits

Here is an online calculator https://www.vlsmcalculator.online/
VLSM subnet calculator helps to discover the available hosts, address range, network address and broadcast address of a given IPv4 network. Wide options are there to choose between IPV4 and IPV6 and also can choose Classes in IPV4.

shilpamary
Certs:
networks

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:14 am

The biggest challenge in networking is getting to know the boundaries of the network. Knowing where the network addressing starts and stops reduces the chance of a major loss and it is vital for all network configurations and Internet Service Provider (ISP) connections to know it.

IPV4 - It is the fourth version in the development of the Internet Protocol (IP). It is one of the core protocols of standard based internetworking methods in the internet.
It has three classes namely, Class A, Class B, Class C with different range of IP address.

IPV6 - It is the most recently used IP address across the internet. The communications protocol that provides an identification and location system for computers on networks and routes traffic across the internet.

Compared to IPV4, IPV6 has larger address space with 128 bits.

Here is an online calculator VlsmCalculator.Online :D

VLSM subnet calculator helps to discover the available hosts, address range, network address and broadcast address of a given IPv4 network. Wide options are there to choose between IPV4 and IPV6 and also can choose Classes in IPV4 :dance:

'

Return to IPv6