ICND1 Practice Labs

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Comments for ICND1 Practice Labs.

Lee1981
Certs:
CISA

Re: ICND1 Practice Labs

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Looks sweet...thanks and I believe I will definitely be using this as I endeavor towards my CCENT!
Romans 5:12 & 15
12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man [Adam], and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned (cf. Rom. 3:23)
15 For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Looks good Scott. Great job.
"See packet, be packet, you are packet. Ignore all else!" -The Networker
packetsdropped.wordpress.com

student01
Certs:
CCNA, ITIL v3 F

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:39 pm

week to go and this is exactly what i need! thanks.
just installed gns3, do i need to do anything else to get these working ?

stu

ta again

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:
NA:R&S, NA:Sec

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:01 pm

If you guys come into anything unexpected let me know so I can fix it.

Lee1981
Certs:
CISA

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:31 pm

scottsee wrote:If you guys come into anything unexpected let me know so I can fix it.

Wait, who put this together? Steve or Scott or is Steve really Scott...
12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man [Adam], and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned (cf. Rom. 3:23)
15 For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Scott wrote it. The author of blog posts is given credit in the blog title. I just created the blog post comment thread.

Lee1981
Certs:
CISA

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Steve wrote:Scott wrote it. The author of blog posts is given credit in the blog title. I just created the blog post comment thread.

I just noticed that... :oops: thanks for the clarification.

zerocool

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:26 pm

I was very happy to see this lab post as I'm looking to take my ICND1 in the next few weeks. I just had a question about the final two labs in the set. In mixing and matching the serial and ethernet connections between routers, is this just to use concepts and subnets as a practice? I'm very curious as to how and why you came about designing this topology. I'm going to give it a run and see how it goes. I have a few spare routers I can throw at this lab and see where it takes me. Nice job Scott!!!!!!!!

eaadams
Post Whore

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:37 am

Hey good job Scott - I've shared your labs extensively :-)

Aubrey
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

sirsamon
Post Whore

Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:29 am

Dupe this was intended for another topic ;)
There is no Motivation like self Motivation.

Remember if you worry you die, if you don't worry you still die.

student01
Certs:
CCNA, ITIL v3 F

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:15 am

@aubrey - from your fb post.

so i can just create the topologies on PT and load the configs onto the different switch's / routers and go from there ?
cant get on with gns3 at the moment

eaadams
Post Whore

Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:46 am

Yep, create your topology in PT.
Then open the given config in a text editor and edit it to match your device - e.g., s0/0/0 to s0/0 or vice versa, add 'no shutdowns' to the interfaces. Then select the config text.
In PT open the CLI tab and go to global config mode, then, and this is *very* important, click the "Paste" button.
The Windows ^C and ^V copy and paste shortcut keys do *not* work (as expected anyway) in the PT CLI input, hence the Copy and Paste buttons.

Remember too, that PT does not support exotic IOS specific commands, so if any of these are copied to the CLI they are not recognised. All 'standard', and generic, CCNA and CCNA-Sec cert required commands are supported though.

And of course the reverse works - you can configure and test the operation of your devices in PT. Issue a "show run", scroll to the top of the output and select the configuration with the mouse, then click the "Copy" button (not ^V remember) and drop the config into a text editor, do any necessary tidying up, select the config text and drop it into your terminal app to configure real hardware.

Aubrey
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:17 am

I don't think the labs will function as they are intended in PT without some manipulation to the config files. I didn't consider the fact people might use the configs in PT. GNS3 doesn't use the clock rate command on back-to-back links, so I never hard coded the command on either side.

I just never thought about people using the labs on anything other then Dyna' or GNS3.

EDIT:

If you guys want the labs piped into PT files I can do it later tonight..

zerocool

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:29 pm

That be cool Scott. I'm going to attempt to manipulate it myself and see if I can get it working. I'd like to get this lab running with my gear.

Thanks again Scott for the work on it.

eaadams
Post Whore

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:41 am

scottsee wrote:I don't think the labs will function as they are intended in PT without some manipulation to the config files.
And that's a problem? Students in my labs move configs between real hardware and PT and GNS all the time. In my view it's character building to troubleshoot missing clockrates, and different interface indentifiers, etc :mrgreen: but then I probably would've made a mean and hated drill sargeant too 8)

In my view it's vey disappointing that 1841s automatically assign a clock to DCE interfaces - spoonfeeding :shock:

Aubrey

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 am

I've just decided to add packet-tracer into the labs too, I'm almost done.. I had to spend several hours chasing my tail around tonight updating some of the config files and adding some clarification to some extremely vague lab instruction. I sent the updated Lab files to Steve, he should have them up here soon enough.. I also made some small tweeks to all of the config files.

PT files will be manana at best..

eaadams
Post Whore

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 am

You really go above and beyond Scott :bowdown:

Aubrey

scottsee
Post Whore
Certs:

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:09 am

Packet Tracer files are done. Should be up shortly.

reaper
Certs:
CCIE #37149 , CCNP, CCDA

Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:07 am

Well done on the labs scottsee, looks good. Always nice to see people contribute to the community :)
http://lostintransit.se

'
Next

Return to Blog Comments