General technical discussions.
jnwilde
Certs:
-

Cloud computing vs VPN

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:18 pm

Hello all,

Im new here so please be nice,

Im currently doing a dissertation on cloud computing within SMES. I have a pretty strong framework (i think) identifying Iaas Paas Saas but I cant seem to find a clear and simple description of the differences between VPN and cloud. I have scalable and pay as you go etc but nothing which is concise and understandable without a technical background.

I would really appreciate any help

Many thanks

Joe

baybars
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Security, 642-902

Re: Cloud computing vs VPN

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:45 pm

They are almost completely different things. You don't need to find clear differences between them.

jnwilde
Certs:
-

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Ok appreciated and I thought I grasped that but realised that when asked by people with no concept if either what the difference is I struggle to get it across. Which I clearly have to do.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb butmaybee just two clear definitions would help

Again thank you very much for the help and sorry for being a nube

Joe

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:24 am

Cloud computing and VPN's are very different tools for different problems.

Cloud computing allows you to move your servers into the cloud. VPN allows you to access a private network over a public network (the internet)

In fact, if you've moved your servers into the cloud, it's entirely likely that you're getting to them via VPN

so really, you can't 'vs' these 2 things

jnwilde
Certs:
-

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:44 am

Thanks mellowd,

I think thats the sort of direction Im looking for. Now i think the confusion begins when you have a hosted VPN from a third party.
Then it begins to sound like cloud. As you say your often getting a VPN over cloud. so by how you explained it (the same as i would) a hosted VPN seems to be a cloud system?

I know this isn't the case but Ive not found a straight answer for why not anywhere

Again thank you!

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:59 am

I'm not entirely sure what a 'hosted VPN' means. It sounds more like a marketing term to me than anything else.

jnwilde
Certs:
-

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:26 am

Maybe I am confusing things but I was under the impression that in the past prior to the cloud it was possible for companies to essentially lease computing power and for it to be connected via a VPN. It seems that your saying a VPN can Only be used to connect a firms existing resororces? Am I understanding this correctly?

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:41 am

Not exactly.

Before 'the cloud' became a buzzword, people did host services in their ISP's datacentres and then got to it via VPN. That's been around for ages

Halo
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP (R&S, Security), ITILv3 Foundation

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:51 am

Is it worth restating what a VPN is and what it does?
VPN refers to a series of technologies intended to securely extend your network across another, unmanaged, medium. An example of a VPN would be connecting two sites securely over the internet, using encryption, hashing, and certificates to ensure traffic remains confidential, maintains its integrity, and is only extended to parties which are authorised. Another example of a VPN would be working from home and connecting to the office network using client software such as Cisco AnyConnect or Checkpoint Integrity.

jnwilde
Certs:
-

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks to you both,

I think mellowd hit on what I was referring to to

Before 'the cloud' became a buzzword, people did host services in their ISP's datacentres and then got to it via VPN. That's been around for ages[/quote][quote="mellowd"]

And it was my understanding that that has been around for ages. So this is the area im looking for differences in. Thanks to halo for the clear explanation that was how i saw it but i thought the above was possible and seems like its a bit different to what is typically thought of as a VPN.

So basically limitations and differentiating factors between ISP data centres through VPN and cloud

Sorry it took so long to get my question right!

Halo
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP (R&S, Security), ITILv3 Foundation

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 am

There's no such thing as a stupid question. ;)

jnwilde
Certs:
-

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks to all,

Worried there may be such a thing a stupid question, Im still a little unclear.

Really looking grasp in plain english (ish) why isp datacentres via vpn is diffrent to cloud.

sorry for drawing this out so much!

Cheers all

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:33 am

There is no difference. Again, 'the cloud' is just a new marketing term

I suppose 'the cloud' can be used to describe more than just a hosted server got through by VPN.

jnwilde
Certs:
-

Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Fantastic,

Thats cleared up my head now. Thank you very much

is there nay way to send thanks in these forums?

schis_123

Sat May 28, 2016 2:22 am

mellowd wrote:There is no difference. Again, 'the cloud' is just a new marketing term

I suppose 'the Digital ocean review' can be used to describe more than just a hosted server got through by VPN.

yes i agree with you and this cloud is a marketing term that is used to increase the visitors on website so the traffic of the websites improve.

SebastianWilliams

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:26 am

VPNs and cloud computing offer different ways to do it, so choosing which method is best will be largely up to what you need to do.

'

Return to General Tech