All home networking related discussions.
ancjob

setup wireless with usb drives - how

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:32 am

happy new year buddies!

i am a newbie in networking and i have a problem....

my laptop is dell inspiron 1525 with b/g wifi card [win 7 HP]

i have 2 usb drives - western digital 2tb and seagate 500gb both connected via usb to the laptop above

i downloaded the software shareplugger which makes the drive(s) shareable....

i setup ad-hoc with internet access [wep-2 personal security with aes encrytion]

my router is non-wifi router sterlite sam300 ax - hard wired via rj45 to my laptop for internet and since drives are connected via usb so i can access and read/write no issues....

here is the tricky part - i have my wifi windows tablet [acer iconia w500[win 7 HP version]] with b/g/n on-board also

now i can access internet no issues on my tablet ....with ad-hoc connection connected to (laptop) but the usb drives are not seen....somehow the ad-hoc network filters out usb hard drives while giving access to shared internet

on my tablet - i goto network see my laptop but no drive foldres - am i missing anything

tried to map to the shared folder path but no success

what do i do ? i do not have wireless router - i am trying to setup my laptop as NAS server....is it possible...has anybody done it like that

only solution i can think off is to have a wireless router (Linksys Wireless-N Router Maximum Performance E4200) and usb drives connected via Iomega iConnect Wireless Data Station to make a NAS server arrangement but it's expensive even then not sure if it will work !

plz help...

doni49

Re: setup wireless with usb drives - how

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:02 pm

About a year or so ago, I bought an adapter that connects two USB devices to my network via ethernet. I think I paid around $30 on Egghead.com.
Don

'

Return to Home Networking