All home networking related discussions.
computerikon
Certs:
None as of right now.

How to connect 2 routers together

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:44 am

Hi,

First off I have 2 wireless routers. Belkin Wireless G plus mimo Model# F5D9230-4 Ver.3001 and a D-link Dir-615 ver. B2. I am using the Belkin router has my main router. The wife’s laptop and the Wii console connect to the router wirelessly. I also connect a few PC directly to the router via Cat5 cables which runs through most rooms in the house. Since the router is down in the basement in my control panel along side the cable modem and what not. This causes the wireless single to be pretty weak in certain parts of the house. What I was planning on doing is taking the D-link router connecting it to the wall jack upstairs to the internet port on the router. Then setting both routers to static and changing the Belkin router to DHCP. Would this work? Thanks.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Re: How to connect 2 routers together

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:10 pm

it should, just make sure both wireless AP's are on different channels as not to interfere with each other.
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

computerikon
Certs:
None as of right now.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks1 ristau5741

erimon
Ultimate Member

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:57 am

To set up an additional access point you might try this procedure....Plug a PC into the router/switch that you would like to change into an Access Point. Use one of the LAN ports, not the internet port. Open a web browser, type in the router’s/switch IP address, and log in to it. Your network must have only one DHCP server, so disable the DHCP server on this router/switch. Now, assign this router/switch an IP address that's outside your main Router's DHCP server range. unplug the computer, place the router, now access point, where you need it, and connect it to main Router with an Ethernet cable (use the LAN ports at both ends) You should be able to connect to the new access point by typing the access point's IP address into a web browser on any computer on your network.

'

Return to Home Networking