All home networking related discussions.
tsmith3480

DNS Issues After ISP Switch

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:06 am

I recently moved and unfortunately, my cable ISP does not provide service to my new house. I now use Verizon Wireless as my home ISP and for the most part (aside from cost) I am happy with the speed and reliability since I live about 100 yards from a tower. However, now that I have switched and setup my home network again, I am having issues connecting to the internet. To give a little context, here is how my network was setup at my old house....

Internet --> Cable Modem --> 1st NIC on Debian Gateway (public IP)
2nd NIC on Debian Gateway --> Netgear 16 port switch --> Devices on LAN (DHCP from Debian Gateway; 192.168.2.1/24) (including wireless AP)

Everything worked great in this setup. Wireless, servers, printers, hardwired desktops, etc. Current setup is as follows...

Internet --> Verizon Home MiFi (public IP) --> 1st NIC on Debian Gateway (DHCP from Mifi; 192.168.1.1/24)
2nd NIC on Debian Gateway --> Netgear 16 port switch --> Devices on LAN (DHCP from Debian Gateway; 192.168.2.1/24) (including wireless AP)

Now I have DNS issues connecting to the internet. The LAN works fine and devices can talk to each other. If I set static IP's, internet works fine. When the devices are configured for DHCP and get an IP from my Debian gateway, they cannot connect to the internet. They are getting DNS resolver issues. I am using DNSMasq on the Debian gateway for DHCP and DNS services. Included in the configuration for DNSMasq are nameserver entries for the Debian gateway, the Verizon MiFi device as well as OpenDNS and Google DNS. At this point, I am stuck. Any guidance or thoughts on next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tony
Tony Smith
Software Engineer
Hortonville, WI

'
Return to Home Networking