All home networking related discussions.
ifrozen94

Weird problem with network

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Hello, i'm new to this forum and recently i faced some weird problem in my network. When all device newly booted up, the network work fine. But after a while (sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes few hours), the whole network hang. I can't connect to WiFi (stucked at obtaining ip address, sometimes when i press connect to the ssid, the connection just wont works, dun't even have any messages such as obtaining ip address, connecting or others). I realize that whenever my network hang, all the leds of unmanaged switch blinking rapidly (just like broadcast storm).
It can be resolved by restarting one of the switch in the network or restart the router. But it won't last long and the network will hang again.

So, this is how my network setup.
The DHCP start from 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.200

Previously the pfSense was Tp-Link tl-r480t+ load balancing router. When start i thought that it was the load balancing router problem, so i replaced it with pfSense but the problem still exists.

At last, i removed the load balancer and changed it to 2 network(Changed the DHCP for both network and the DHCP Pool doesn't conflict with AP ip addresses) but the problem is still exist but hang less often ( 2 or 3 days ). But when more than 10 devices in the network, it would be very high chance of network hang.

I had asked some of the computer shops, they said that maybe the AP SSID conflict (they didn't tell me what conflict) and the AP become faulty and went crazy (causes broadcast storm :thinking: ).

So guys, any ideas about what's going on?

SebastianWilliams

Re: Weird problem with network

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:24 am

No idea

ski
Certs:
CCNA CCNP CCIP CCNA Security

Re: Weird problem with network

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:34 pm

If you can localize the problem to one switch, it also may a hardware issue, but first of all I would check the switch logging and the config, especially for STP, trunk ports, set all end-device ports to access mode with portfast, you could, when possible, enable BPDU guards and stuff like that and so on. There are many things you can do to protect your switch.

'

Return to Home Networking