All home networking related discussions.
AlphaWolf

Is a router as effective as a switch?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi,
I recently got a new setup, and I'm streaming media and backing up over a network.
When I run a backup or move a file, I am finding that my network is getting choked. I've got a 1Gbps connection to my server, yet I'm only using ~3-4% of the bandwidth. I've tried streaming from the internal HDD of the server and transferring to the external drive attached via USB, but it still slows down (I can see this by the music or video stuttering).
As mentioned in this post, I can't get the powerline to show up properly in the powerline utility, so I can't see the actual connection speed. However, I doubt it's 0.03Gbps (37.5MBps), so I'm trying to find what could be slowing it down.
The only thing I can think of is that the router is somehow slowing it all down. From the server to the PC goes like this:
Server > Router > Powerline > Powerline > Switch > PC
I've tried removing the switch, no help. The only thing is the Powerline (which I don't know how to test) or the router (which might slow down the data between the 2 ports?).
Any ideas as to how to test what componant is slowing it down and why?
FYI, the router is a Netgear DGN3500 :)
Thanks for any help, this one's got me stumped!

Alan87i

Re: Is a router as effective as a switch?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 pm

If your server is at one end of the power line boxs and your pc is at the other , your going to have a slower connection.
IS there any way toy can run a cat5 cable . Even if you go outside and back in ?
Or move the server , put it on the switch?

AlphaWolf

Re: Is a router as effective as a switch?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Alan87i wrote:If your server is at one end of the power line boxs and your pc is at the other , your going to have a slower connection.
IS there any way toy can run a cat5 cable . Even if you go outside and back in ?
Or move the server , put it on the switch?

When I move to University in 5 months, I'll be able to do that, but right now, I can't.
I got some "gigabit" powerline adapters, which even though only advertise as 500Mbps (I'm confused by the specification), I'm still not getting anywhere near 500Mbps. When I use the Powerline Utility, I can't authenticate (neither of the "default" passwords work) and no MX Rate is shown, so I don't know the actual speeds.
I'll move the Server into my room and test out the speeds then, just to make sure, but it looks like I'll have to figure something out with these powerline adapters.

'

Return to Home Networking