All other Cisco networking related discussions.
lhigginbotham

Issue with a Dell PC 5548

Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Good day,

I'm told that the Dell brand of networking gear is rebranded Cisco. If it is not, I apologize for this post and you can remove it. However, here is my delimma. I have a Dell PowerConnect that has been in this environment for at least 3 years. We have had no problems with it until now. It is out of support and the company does not appear to be supportive of fixing that issue. So, we have introduced a Gallagher 6000 Control System to secure our doors and such. However, connected to our Dell does not communicate at all! I have talked to our Facility guys and they tell me that Gallagher says it is the switch and I say otherwise. But here is what we have done:

1. Switch is on a 10.0.*.*/22 - 255.255.252.0 network. Traffic is flowing perfectly fine on all other devices (ESXi hosts, physical and virtual, FortiGate Firewalls and Dell Storage Array).
2. Switch does have multiple VLANs and I have confirmed the firewall rules allow access from the controller network 10.0.12.* to the server network 10.0.128.*. Yet, I have no communication.
3. With it plugged into the Dell, I can ping the switch from the 128 network and any other device on the 12 network. However, I cannot ping the Gallagher Device
4. I see in the logs traffic of the Dell switch it is attempting to communicate.

So, I have gotten it to work with a borrowed piece of hardware (I'm working on a customer's system). Here is the setup:

1. Gallagher 6000 cabled to a port on a Cisco SG300-52
2. Cisco SG300-52 cabled to the port on the Dell PC 5548

That now allows the traffic to pass. So, now, my ignorance of networking is really going to show here. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cannot get the Dell to pass that same traffic. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Lee

'
Return to Cisco General