All other Cisco networking related discussions.
Andys93
Certs:
CCNA

DMVPN Redundancy

Sat May 02, 2015 11:37 am

I am looking for a way to set up a full DMVPN mesh with redundant hubs so that NHRP doesn't completely fail if 1 hub goes down.

I have tried to look this up online but my issue is that everyone seems to configure a second mesh with another hub router. The problem with this topology is that the second hub is now not a part of the primary DMVPN mesh and does not have access to the primary hubs LAN unless it is on the same site.

I would like to have the backup hub at a different site to avoid paying for a redundant hub router that won't be used unless the primary goes down.

I have tried creating a second tunnel interface on each hub to connect to the corresponding primary and backup DMVPN mesh, but that has not worked. Does anyone have any ideas?

randym

Re: DMVPN Redundancy

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:27 am

i'm with ya here sort of, except, i'm just trying to understand a simple hub to two spokes with redundant internet. NOT a cisco guy so much, just one enough to get in trouble. We have such a setup and it just doesn't match up with all the googling I found to explain in dumb terms how our current set is working. I got the gest of it, but don't make me take a test..

w1zard
Certs:
CCNP

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:48 pm

Just to understand the physical topology,
Are the two sites connected in some way? Is there L2 or L3 connectivity between the two sites?
When you say you created a second tunnel interface, do you get connectivity? Why exactly does it not work? You can't get it up/up, or routing is not working?
Rule #1 when troubleshooting: never give up

SebastianWilliams

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:15 am

It describes how to configure Internet Service Provider (ISP) redundancy on a Dynamic Multipoint VPN (DMVPN) spoke via the Virtual Routing and Forwarding-Lite (VRF-Lite) feature.

'

Return to Cisco General