All other Cisco networking related discussions.
edlin

Troubleshooting a 2911

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:33 pm

I was given a lot of broken random cisco gear a month or so ago and I am trying to get a 2911 that is a bit banged up on the outside working. The internals look fine and I get an AC light when I plug it in but no type of POST at all, no fans turn on etc.

I've worked on PCs and servers for years but never any network hardware, this seems like it would be a decent peice of equipment to add to my lab so I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in a direction that might help.

:thankyou:

Reggle
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA Security, CCNP, CCDP

Re: Troubleshooting a 2911

Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:40 pm

If it's not giving POST, I doubt it will ever work again...
http://reggle.wordpress.com

kerpap
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:52 pm

attach a chain to it and use it as a boat anchor? get some use out of it.

perhaps you could take a picture of the motherboard? take the lid off so we can see what it looks like?

my guess though is its toast. I work with a lot of hardware and when the fan doesn't spin and the output doesn't come out... well its time to give 'er a proper funeral.
CCNA, CCDA, CCNA-SECURITY

killabee
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP, CCDA, JNCIA

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:11 pm

do any of the LEDs light up when you turn on the power? The LEDs may tell you whether the device is toast or not. But since the fans aren't coming on, it may indeed be dead.

edlin

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 pm

killabee wrote:do any of the LEDs light up when you turn on the power? The LEDs may tell you whether the device is toast or not. But since the fans aren't coming on, it may indeed be dead.

Thanks guys, the only thing that comes on is the AC light on the PS. Looks like I just found myself a fancy replacement to my sagging monitor stand :cry:

writeerase
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCIE CCNP-S CCDA MCSE RHCT Sec+ A+

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:20 am

buy another broken one on ebay and make a frankenrouter

edlin

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 pm

For a minute I thought it may be due to missing memory in the single SIMM slot but it appears this routers system memory is built in so I don't think that would cause the issue.

Looks like I have a fancy monitor stand for the time being :) saved myself a few bucks and who knows maybe I'll come across another bashed up unit with working internals at some point.

'

Return to Cisco General