CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCIE, CCSP, CCVP, CCIP.
G1lgam3sh

Re: Cisco Test-Taking Advice

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm not a morning person at all so I test best around lunch time.

If you're like me and have always been very fast at tests, I strongly advise intentionally double-checking each answer, re-reading the questions, and slowing down. Cisco likes to use interesting wording in their questions and answers that can easily be misread.
Link to all of your hopes and dreams:

http://www.networking-forums.com/

Retired Account
Post Whore

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:42 pm

Attention to details is always huge on Cisco exams. One small phrase in the listed requirements of a question can drastically change the answer... such as "proprietary"

Phinearific
Certs:
none

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:04 pm

hi everyone, i am planning to take the ccna next month maybe. i'm a former IT student but didn't able to finish the degree. i wanted to start a networking career. do you have any tips there for effective ways of self-studying at home to pass the ccna exam the first time? i would be glad to read all what you gotta say, any practical advice would be much appreciated. thank you guys! :pray:

Retired Account
Post Whore

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:01 pm

Phinearific wrote:hi everyone, i am planning to take the ccna next month maybe. i'm a former IT student but didn't able to finish the degree. i wanted to start a networking career. do you have any tips there for effective ways of self-studying at home to pass the ccna exam the first time? i would be glad to read all what you gotta say, any practical advice would be much appreciated. thank you guys! :pray:

Get the Cisco Press ICND 1 and 2 books and go the two test route... actually I'm not up to date with the new track, but I'd say books and a simulator such as Boson NetSim will get you by. If you want to get a jump on things if you're dedicated to going beyond the CCNA, start getting ahold of used gear and get used to working on it.

Phinearific
Certs:
none

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:37 am

oh thanks Mr. steven, yeah, im really aiming to go beyond ccna, but they say, just the ccna, it's like a mile wide and an inch deep.. actually my uncle who is presently working as a voice engineer, he suggested to just take the single exam for the ccna. he gave me study tools, like the cbtnuggets and the lammle's. how long do you guys think will it take for me in order to be ready for the exam?to those who already took the exam?is it really hard ? im new to networking but i got a bit of knowledge about it. im really interested to start a career in networking soon. :thinking:

Retired Account
Post Whore

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:33 am

If you want to just get the cert out of the way - yeah, do the one test. In my opinion, if you're new to the game like I was, and you really want a strong foundation, go the two test route. It takes longer but I'm glad I did it that way. Consider the CompTIA Network+ as well - alot of people think it's nothing but I think the more work you do in the area (networking), the better you get. If you want to open doors in the public sector (Government, if you're in the US), also consider the CompTIA Security+ - however the exam fee is now up to $276!!!! So silly.

You may want to check out cisco.com and see how the different tracks work... I think it may have changed or is going to change soon. I think you'll only need a CCENT to take CCNA tracks other than R&S.

G1lgam3sh

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 am

Phinearific wrote:oh thanks Mr. steven, yeah, im really aiming to go beyond ccna, but they say, just the ccna, it's like a mile wide and an inch deep.. actually my uncle who is presently working as a voice engineer, he suggested to just take the single exam for the ccna. he gave me study tools, like the cbtnuggets and the lammle's. how long do you guys think will it take for me in order to be ready for the exam?to those who already took the exam?is it really hard ? im new to networking but i got a bit of knowledge about it. im really interested to start a career in networking soon. :thinking:

From what I've seen on the CCNA everything it covers is VERY fundamental. It may not be as interesting as the more in-depth material, but if you aren't familiar with all the technologies on the CCNA you'll definitely run into issues in your career.

Retired Account
Post Whore

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:02 pm

G1lgam3sh wrote:
Phinearific wrote:oh thanks Mr. steven, yeah, im really aiming to go beyond ccna, but they say, just the ccna, it's like a mile wide and an inch deep.. actually my uncle who is presently working as a voice engineer, he suggested to just take the single exam for the ccna. he gave me study tools, like the cbtnuggets and the lammle's. how long do you guys think will it take for me in order to be ready for the exam?to those who already took the exam?is it really hard ? im new to networking but i got a bit of knowledge about it. im really interested to start a career in networking soon. :thinking:

From what I've seen on the CCNA everything it covers is VERY fundamental. It may not be as interesting as the more in-depth material, but if you aren't familiar with all the technologies on the CCNA you'll definitely run into issues in your career.

Agreed - this is why I decided to get the CCNP before I did anything else. It has been very helpful in understanding many technologies outside of the R&S track.

I also found the Cisco Academy to be very helpful. It goes into way more than you need to know for the CCNA, but I thought it was very, very informative being new to the field, and I only took the first module (CCNA Exploration).

Phinearific
Certs:
none

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Steven King wrote:
G1lgam3sh wrote:

Agreed - this is why I decided to get the CCNP before I did anything else. It has been very helpful in understanding many technologies outside of the R&S track.

I also found the Cisco Academy to be very helpful. It goes into way more than you need to know for the CCNA, but I thought it was very, very informative being new to the field, and I only took the first module (CCNA Exploration).

Thanks guys, for now, i just want to focus in passing the ccna.. really wish i could pass it the first time.

michoudi
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA R&S/Security, IPS, FIREWALL, QoS

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 am

Start studying first, you'll be able to gauge whether you should take one or two exams.

williamtyrell78
Post Whore
Certs:
CompTIA Net+, CCENT, CCNA R&S

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:03 am

I recommend the 2 test route, simply because with the new CCENT you can decide which way you want to go after the CCENT, not the CCNA. So if you really want to specialize in Voice, you do not need to take NA R&S.

I recommend to anyone if this is your first cisco Exam, taking the 2 test route. It gives you more understanding, lets you get deep in all of the subject, if you fail you only loose 150 bucks vs 300. Not to mention once you pass ICND1 you get your first cisco cert, which makes you feel... amazing. This gives you the drive to get ICND 2/NA Voice or Sec...

When taking the test I recommend Study hard a week before the test (7 days before) for 5 days. Do not study at all on the 6th day, go to bed early, wake up, you were not cramming so you should know all of the material and ace the test. :)
"I can't have a network loop, I have Spanning-Tree" ....famous last words

Retired Account
Post Whore

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:17 am

williamtyrell78 wrote:When taking the test I recommend Study hard a week before the test (7 days before) for 5 days. Do not study at all on the 6th day, go to bed early, wake up, you were not cramming so you should know all of the material and ace the test. :)

This is very good advice. Cisco exams more so than any other I've taken are very detail-oriented. You can shoot yourself in the foot by coming to an exam tired and missing one small detail that has a major impact on which answer you should choose.

gamechief
Certs:
Network +

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:25 am

So here is my very detailed two cents on testing taking and being prepared.

How prepared you are for the exam is not about if you studied or not its about how you studied. It depends on if the person that is studying actually knows how to engage themselves especially when it comes to what actions they need to take to efficiently retain memory. For instance, one person may need to go through the whole ondemand course without taking a single note. Then they will go back through it again but to only take notes on the most important topics or details that got away from them. Others find it difficult to take notes and keep up with the information needed so, they may just go through the course 6 times without taking a single note. The point is if you are nervous or have developed some type of anxiety before an exam then take a moment to reevaluate your study habits because it plays into the psychosis of your readiness.

G1lgam3sh

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:14 am

psychosomatic readiness would probably be a better descriptor than psychosis of your readiness. (although, I definitely feel a bit deranged by the time I'm finally taking my tests xD )

Retired Account
Post Whore

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:18 am

G1lgam3sh wrote:psychosomatic readiness would probably be a better descriptor than psychosis of your readiness. (although, I definitely feel a bit deranged by the time I'm finally taking my tests xD )

Hey now... deranged is only derived from a deviation from what is considered a socially accepted norm... :D

G1lgam3sh

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:34 am

Ha! The socially accepted norm... now we're going to start sounding like a new type of hippie. "We're not different man, we just read a lot of technical documentation! Don't conform!" lol

Retired Account
Post Whore

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:39 am

Nah it's just something that's stuck with me from classes in College... it's amazing how we fall into invisible "boxes" and follow the socially-accepted norms like it's the law, when in reality, nothing stops you from doing something that deviates from that.

For example, it's completely normal in other parts of the world to stone your wife to death for commiting adultery. Even crowds gather to watch. To some of us, that's sickening. To others, that's regular life. Hence, "socially accepted norm".

That's where "laws" are derived from.

That's what terrified me about the rash of mass shootings that has been happening. It's terrifying to think about if people just realized that they don't really have to follow laws, or society (There's consequences, of course), and can just go do whatever they want - which could include harming others.

EDIT - ANYWAYS, back to the regularly-scheduled program. Sorry for the hijack.

williamtyrell78
Post Whore
Certs:
CompTIA Net+, CCENT, CCNA R&S

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:02 pm

it's completely normal in other parts of the world to stone your wife to death for commiting adultery. Even crowds gather to watch. To some of us, that's sickening. To others, that's regular life. Hence, "socially accepted norm".

This is partially true. Yes it is the socially accepted norm, because the law allocates it to be so. Technically they are following the law, in which is ordained upon them.

The same goes for this country. Locks only keep honest people out, and away. If a person wants to harm someone/something they will do it regardless of the consequences.

Any&All decisions that take place within a persons thought processes consist of:
A.) Should I do it (Pro's > Con's)[ex: Murder] [Will this justify how I was mistreated/hurt/abused]
B.) Is it worth it (Pro's > Con's)[ex: Murder] [is killing them worth the consequences of punishment, in this society many will say yes, because we pat most criminals on the hands, give them 3 meals a day (more than which most of them had their whole lives), and a warm bed]

When looking/analyzing laws you have to look at it from a judicial standpoint. The law of the people when it was created. The Law should not change if there is no issue with it. People try to make exceptions to the law... Just like how kids try to justify lies to mommy and daddy.
"I can't have a network loop, I have Spanning-Tree" ....famous last words

Retired Account
Post Whore

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:49 pm

williamtyrell78 wrote:This is partially true. Yes it is the socially accepted norm, because the law allocates it to be so. Technically they are following the law, in which is ordained upon them.

Not that I want to continue this conversation, but I'll say this (And not post on it again). You got it backwards. Law did not come before society. Society as a whole dictates law. One, or two, or a splinter group does not equal society as a whole. When society as a whole agrees on something, it can and often becomes law. When society as a whole no longer agrees with a law, that law will likely change. Law is an emotionless representation of the opinion of society, again, as a whole. Law is not a living being that physically prevents you from doing anything.

Sure there are exceptions, and there are times that only a small group of society as a whole gets a say in matter that will dictate a law, but that's a whole separate discussion.

Without society (Outside of dictatorship/tyranny, which I don't see as society) to create it, there can't be law. Without law, there can definitely still be society. A crappy society in my opinion, but again that's a whole other discussion.

deanwebb
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA R&S, CCNP Security, BCEB, MOSMWNMTK

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

CCNA: Do the two-test track. Get your R&S and then look at other areas, you'll be glad you did.

I'm an afternoon guy... I got good sleep, ate a good breakfast, then had a light lunch. Took the test around 2:30 whenever possible, because that's how I roll. But food does not go well with tests: if you're busy digesting, your brain won't think as well.

I actually liked to take some time to cram during the day before testing. In fact, I made sure I always tested on a day off. I also took the day before off, just to make sure I had plenty of time to go over all the details.

TAKE THE PRACTICE TESTS THAT COME WITH THE CISCO PRESS CERT GUIDES. ALL OF THEM. You're welcome. When you see a question that makes you go "wha?", do your research and make sure you understand the tech and theory behind the question. Google is your friend. In fact, you can be paid very, very well to do Google searches for other people. It's called an IT job. :D

You can't talk during the exams, but you can move your lips when you read. Doing so forces you to read slowly, carefully, and deliberately. You'll fall asleep if you try to read a novel that way, but you will spot the crazy wording in the questions if you use this method. Say each word in the question and every answer choice to yourself as you read them, and the answers will reveal themselves to you.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.

http://www.networking-forums.com

Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | IT'S NOT THE FIREWALL!!!

'
PreviousNext

Return to Cisco Certifications