RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, VTP, STP.
badams

Cisco or Linksys

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first question here. I would rate myself a little above good in networking. Certainly no expert. The first Cisco product I owned was the Cisco PIX-501. I loved the PIX once I learned CLI for ACLs, etc. I am sad to say that it was the last true Cisco hardware I can say without a doubt was made by Cisco.

Since then I have owned three Cisco RV042 routers, all of which I bought because of their specs but also the name. CISCO is stamped in huge letters on the top. A question at Experts-Exchange resulted in around six answers that it was a Cisco product, but an IT friend of mine stated it was Linksys. They work great.

Since then, I have learned that Cisco has a few divisions such as Linksys consumer grade and Linksys Small Business Grade and, of course, Cisco.

I am in the market for a new switch and was looking at the Cisco SG300-28PP. Good reviews, perfect price point. But, then my friend tells me it is also a Linksys product. I have looked and tried to read everything on the Cisco page about the product, but I can't tell.

So, my question is would you consider the SG300-28PP made solely by Cisco or a division of Cisco, such as Linksys? I'm not saying that it can't be a good product. In fact, the switch it would be replacing is the Linksys SRW2024, which I have had for over ten years. But, at least it says Linksys on it, and I believe it was before they were bought out by Cisco.

Personally, I feel if it is made by Linksys, then it should say Linksys SG300-28PP, a division of Cisco's Small Business Division. Otherwise, it seems to be false advertising.

Any help would be appreciated.

'
Return to Cisco Routing and Switching