RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, VTP, STP.
tangoseal

Intervlan not working exactly how I want... tips welcome

Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 am

Alright so in my lab, which consist of:
Router - 1921 with 8 port EHWIC
Switch - 3750E-24 port GIG Layer 3

I have two networks I am intervlan routing between....

10.1.1.0 /24 VLAN 2
20.1.1.0 /24 VLAN 3

3750E is trunked to 1921 EHWIC
Router - Routed port 0/0 is outside
Router - Routed port 0/1 is shutdown

When I transfer large files between the two VLAN's between two computers the router does all the layer 3 work between the two vlans. How do I get my switch to do the layer 3 work for intervlan routing between my two test networks. I am not confortable with running my router at 99% while transferring files between networks.

I had it setup so the switch had a L3 port connected to the routers inside interface earlier tonight and the switch was bearing all the load on intervlan routing. That is what I wanted but not using a router behind a router.

I probably do not know what to do past this point but if using L3 switch and a dedicated L3 port and not a trunk I can get what I want however I cant seem to get any port forwarding to work from the router down to the actual PC I want to test out a webserver on.

Here is the L3 setup in case this is the route I need to go and there is a simple fix to get port forwarding to work..

Switch
Int gig 1/0/24
no switchport
ip address 100.1.1.1 /24

Router
int gig 0/1
ip add 100.1.1.2 / 24

aka router behind router but port forward will not work. Seems like a double NAT except the 3750e will not NAT. So as confusing as this is ... what shall I look at to get the switch to bear the load of intervlan routing when connected either way and get port forwarding to work?
Awesomesauce!!!!

tangoseal

Re: Intervlan not working exactly how I want... tips welcome

Fri May 11, 2012 12:54 am

OH MY GOD im an IDIOT

All I had to freaking do was change my dag gum gateway on my test PC's from the router as a gateway to the switche's vlan ip as the gateway sigh.... my brain is fried and I new that. And after I posted this I figured it out because I actually used my brain for a change.

Been labbing it up all day long and just tired of typing out CLI lol...

I left my original post above in case someone searches it out in the future.
Awesomesauce!!!!

Agent Zed
Certs:
CCNA, CCNP

Re: Intervlan not working exactly how I want... tips welcome

Sat May 12, 2012 6:02 am

Hey, always happy to help :)

'

Return to Cisco Routing and Switching