Site announcements from the admin and moderators.
Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

networking-forum.com CCNA Scholarship

Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:48 pm

What's going on?

networking-forum.com is offering a scholarship to one person who would like to earn a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification. The scholarship will provide the CCNA Official Exam Certification Library, a separate forum specifically dedicated to the candidate for his or her use during their studies with feedback from the site's members, and reimbursement of the exam fees after they pass their exam(s).

How is the recipient chosen?

To qualify for the scholarship, candidates will need to write an essay about why they want to earn their CCNA certification and why they make a good candidate for the scholarship. All essays must be received by October 8th, 2010 and posted in this thread. The essays will be judged by our crack(head) staff and a few prominent members. The recipient will be announced in this thread and notified via a site private message on October 15th, 2010.

The Judges

What is expected of the recipient?

The recipient of the networking-forum.com CCNA Scholarship is expected to do the following:

• Keep the community informed of their progress by participating in their dedicated forum.
  • Write 4 750+ word blog posts on a topic of their choice.

Other details

• CiscoPress is sponsoring this scholarship by providing the books. Thanks to them for supporting the site and the cause.
  • The recipient has 3 months to pass their first exam, 3 months after that to pass their second exam, or 5 months total to pass the combined exam.
  • Proof of the passed exam(s) must be provided to receive reimbursement.
  • A picture of the candidate's face and dated score sheet will need to be posted on the site or sent to Steve.
  • Reimbursement for passed exam fees will be made via PayPal.com and will not exceed $250 USD.
  • This is our first attempt at this, so expect some issues.
  • The rules and or details of the scholarship may change at any time.

News/updates/changes

Any news/updates/changes will be posted here.

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Re: networking-forum.com CCNA Scholarship

Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Application 1
andrew_berry wrote:There is one thing that has always fascinated me from my early childhood. This has always been computer networks. As a child, I was always interested in the internet. However, unlike my peers, it was not really the content of the internet that interested me but the desire to know how it really worked. Even though my virgin mind was unable to fathom the intricate explanations that I got, I knew one day, I will be part of the professionals that “connected” those computers until they could communicate.

When I was undertaking my initial education, I maintained a good track record of academic performance. I also was an active contributor in many other extracurricular activities. I was also actively involved in sports and I played both football and basketball. This level of education proved me to be a responsible, focused, hard working and easy to get along with. I managed to make friends both locally and internationally during this time and we are still in contact up to date.

After my graduation, I joined the United States Navy. I was elated for the grand opportunity ahead of me to serve my country and make a positive difference in my community. It has been an experience I have and I am still enjoying. Working for the Navy has made me discover many things. For instance, I have learned how important it is to have peace with one self. People who cause trouble all over the world are such people that have issues that they would rather solve through violence. Working at the Navy has helped me become a more responsible person because as a requirement, our discipline is always required to be at zenith level.

​I am currently attached to the Information Technology wing of the Navy and I have been working here for two and a half years now. The hands on experience I have gotten by working in the Navy in IT administration have been phenomenal. I have especially had experience on naval networks. This has exposed me to a wide range of skills including vulnerability analysis and information security.

​The integrity of information is one of the most important facets in the Navy. Our work is to make sure that the ACID properties of information have not been violated through various security mechanisms that we employ. I have also developed the skill vulnerability analysis. Theses entails looking for security holes in the network and making corrective mechanisms before a something bad happens. The Navy’s sensitive nature requires that we come up with proactive measure to make sure any potential security hole is identified and closed in time.

​Taking CCNA will be a milestone for me. It will be achieving one of my goals and it will place me on the correct highway in the networking field. Furthermore, I intend to use the knowledge acquired to better the Navy. The Navy is always exposed to new threats every new day because of the complexities of the modern world that we live in today. The Information Technology department is therefore the network and security procedures guard. A Cisco Certified Network Associate Certification is the missing link in my career. I believe I need to get the scholarship as it will not only help me grasp the intricacies of networking and the security issues involved but will also place me on a higher pedestal to perform better in my current job.

Application 2
Robert13 wrote:I have been in the IT field for thirty years and have done everything from fixing the circuit boards to doing system administration in the enterprise. I have seen main frame computers, filling a whole room with 128 bits of memory, card punches and readers that were near cutting edge technology. Today's technology now has more power in a smart phone with 512 MB of memory and a 1Ghz processor.

At this juncture in my life, I have become a data infrastructure manager. I have the technical acumen to manage the data portion whether it is a windows server in a virtual environment, managed the systems behind the virtual environment. Although I can survive in the network world, to be a true data infrastructure manager, I am currently studying to get my CCNA. I have found that it is a challenging and at the same time enjoyable to learn this part of the IT field. Networking has challenged me to look at not just the issue before me, but what is contributing to the picture. Within a network there are so many variables that must be looked at that are causes to rather than is the cause.

This is why I have found that to truly understand, I have to become certified as a CCNA. Even then, I have just begun to scale the mountain so to speak, but have found that it is a means to the end.

Thank you for this opportunity.

Robert Molina

I found the link to this scholarship on the CISCO website.

Application 3
spcote75 wrote:I can remember the day my Father brought home a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A computer: keyboard built into the sleek, silver casing; tape recorder device that was the method of input ala floppy disks (yes, this thing didn't even have a floppy drive); and the joy of sitting, waiting while my Father programmed the thing just to get it to work. I can still hear the fax machine-esque sounds of the tape recorder to this day. I've been a user of computers since that day back in the early 1980's. From that old TI-99 to Apple IIe's to the desktop hogs of today that vex me so. I've decided to stop being a blind user, quite often in awe of how computers and the networks on which they run work, and move into the realm of knowing...

A little about myself...I'm a father of three children: my four year old son, Seth and my twin two year old daughters, Giada and Brynnley. My savior, the love of my life and the only woman who can tolerate my absurdity is my wife, Lisa. I’ve always been fascinated by electronics and in particular computing systems. Always cognizant of the fact that they do have some sort of innards but never really knowing how or why something worked. As of late, I’m more interested in how computers communicate with each other versus how something works within the computer although that is still intriguing to me and essential knowledge I’m sure.

I believe I’ve come to a point in my life where I’m going to have to make some hard decisions, decisions that should and probably will change my life and the lives of my family. It’s no longer an “I want” but rather an “I need” regarding working towards a better life and what better way to do so than to become a networking professional. I believe that I now have the drive and determination required to not only study for but to pass the CCNA tests and to continue my journey and education in the networking field.

I’ll not bore you with the trivial aspects of my life nor burden you with the economic hardships that I’ve placed myself in but these are some of the motivations for me to become a better person. To enter into and grow within a worthwhile, challenging and exciting career field. The road to the CCNA is neither easy nor quick but it’s something I need to do and for the first time in my life it’s something I know I can do. Sure, having nice things and not having to live paycheck to paycheck would be nice but when it's all said and done, being able to provide for my family and give them the life they deserve is what ultimately matters and being able to obtain a CCNA certification, with the help of this generous scholarship, would be a significant step in the right direction. Thank you all for your consideration.

Steven Cote

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Application 4
kidzer0 wrote:I'm not sure how many of you follow me on Twitter, but I know some of you do. Lately, I've been having the worst luck in the world. My company I was at was bought by a Fortune 100 company, so after 3 months I had to look for new employment. (Luckily, I have been successful) However, I have had some horrendous car issues. $1300 my car was FINALLY up and running when I picked it up at 10PM that night. 7AM the next morning, my girlfriend's mother has backed into my car and may have completely totaled the vehicle. $1300 I could have use to get my CCNA, or training materials, or a new car even. There's also been a lot of less fortunate things that have occurred the last month, in total, September sucked.

I have just accepted a position, and today was my first day, as an Operations Manager. I was told there wouldn't be too much Cisco related work, until I started today. There's a lot of Cisco and heavy networking to work on. Much more then I was told, even by the previous IT Manager. So, here I am, in a bind. I need to learn quickly and I have no idea where to start. The CCNA Scholarship would help me out big time, as I am a complete Cisco newb. :wall:

Application 5
scottsee wrote:I remember a cold Christmas morning in 1993, 13 years old sitting around the tree with my family, staring at an oddly shaped present. I don’t remember opening the neatly wrapped manila envelope, but I do remember the excitement that overcame me as I gazed at what lie inside! A foreign piece of paper with the words “Computer Training” popping out from the top of the page as I tugged on the paper. The envelope had contained a neatly printed certificate by, Herbaugh and Associates (a local computer shop in my home town) for (4) 1½ hours in home training sessions. It was in that exact moment, the creation of my lifetime fascination and love for technology began. I often look back at that brief moment as the single best Christmas present I have ever received.

My love of computers followed me into College, where in 2001 I received an Associates of Science in the field of Computer Network Engineering. But the times were uncertain, a failing economy due to dot.com bubble bursting, landed myself smack dab at ground zero competing for entry level jobs in Seattle, Washington with 10+ year experienced system administrators just trying to survive. Out of sheer desperation and being short on money, bussing tables and living paycheck to paycheck, I couldn’t hold out any longer and took the first job I could, selling cars. As the years passed, life happened, I have gotten married to the love of my life, and we’ve had two wonderful children!

Not long after taking the position of selling cars had I begun feeling I’d lost my way, but vowed to stick it though for the meantime in support of my wife as she completed her calling to be a teacher. For the following 5 years I worked week in week out at a job I despised so she could be a mother and a full time student, eventually graduating with honors in the summer of 2008 with a Bachelors’ degree in Elementary Education. After a year of substitute teaching and still no Job offers, coupled with the automotive industry facing bankruptcy and a failing economy, we found ourselves once again at the center of a troubling situation. No jobs.

With no other options, we packed up and drove 1500 miles to a small community in central Arizona who had seen the glowing potential in my wife’s desire to teach. Accepting a position as a 1st grade teacher in a Title 1, underprivileged school in hopes to make a difference, we settled down to make a life. With a 2 month old and one in grade school we made the switch in parenting rolls. I took over the responsibility of staying at home and raising our youngest, while my wife went to work. For the past 16 months, I have been searching my soul for what it is my life is in need of unfolding. What I have found is that I am no longer willing to settle for “ok” or “acceptable”. It is time for me to step out of the shadows and pursue my dreams and be whom my wife has always seen me as. The passion I had so long ago, dropped to the backburner for the sacrifices I made for my family. We all make sacrifices like this in life. But now it could be my turn.

Nearly every night these past 16 months, I have been relentlessly self-studying to find a path in which to follow in the computer industry. Because second chances are short lived, this may well be my last opportunity to succeed. So I’ve treaded lightly with soft feet not to make any sudden choices. From C++ to SQL, Cisco to Wireshark, Backtrack to the DOD 8570 directives, I’ve spent countless nights learning the vast horizon of network security, routing protocols and packet analysis, filling my mind with as much broad knowledge as possible about the industry in its current state in hopes to eventually travel down the elusive golden road to professional freedom.

For a family of four living on a budget of less than $27,000 life has its challenges, but not enough to think I deserve this opportunity any more than anyone else. Though we make it without many common luxuries like cable television, cell phones, or health insurance… I still consider myself blessed to have direction and a healthy, loving, supportive family to spend my life with. To many people $250 dollars may be trivial, the monthly amount you spend on Starbucks, but to me it’s what we spend on 5 weeks of groceries, and not something I can throw up into the air and see if it will help my carrier stick to the wall. The choices I make and the certification I choose right now are a one shot deal.

Cisco is undoubtedly the path to a successful and fundamental understanding of layers 2 and 3. And with the generosity of this forum and that of CiscoPress for sponsoring such a scholarship truly gives hope to people whom need it most, supporting those who otherwise would be left without. For a community to rise above the cloud of humanities greed and self-preservation, giving so generously and whole heartedly is truly remarkable and something to be worthy and proud of! You are part of something more than a ”Cisco human connection”, but part of a connection to humanity that inspires during days that we need inspiration the most. Thank you for such an opportunity for myself and for the many others whom travel down the path seldom walked in humble shoes.

Scott See, Arizona USA

Application 6
feverlax wrote:Starting when I was 10 I knew I wanted to have a career in the computer field, but I never really knew what. As I grew older, I became more and more interested in the internet and computer/networking hardware. While I certainly enjoy browsing the internet, I was always more interested in learning how the internet and networking in general worked. When I was 13 I built my first computer, and when I was 15 I built my first home media server. Ever since then I have been experimenting with different types of networking gear (firewalls, servers, etc) on my home network. When it came time to apply for colleges I focused my search to schools that offered some sort of networking degree, be it systems administration, network engineering, or information security. Due to a variety of reasons, including course content and scholarships, I settled on the Rochester Institute of Technology where I find myself now a freshman studying Information Security and Forensics.

While I was very dedicated to learning about computers as a child, it was most certainly not the only thing I spent my time on. I was also actively involved in sports and various clubs in school where I emerged as a leader. I have been playing lacrosse since 5th grade, and ended up taking on leadership roles on the team as a junior and senior in high school. Furthermore, I founded and ran a community service club under the umbrella of the Rotary Club in high school as a way to give back to our community as well as work on my leadership skills. At RIT, I have taken on the role of Vice President for the Lacrosse Club which involves many tasks such as organizing practices and working with the school administration to manage funding and field usage. As a whole, I have dedicated part of my life to leadership in extracurricular activities in order to develop leadership skills for my future career.

Furthermore, I have continually challenged myself all through school, with the most challenging being the International Baccalaureate program I was a part of in high school. This program is very similar to the AP program, but focuses on the humanities, community service, and research. As part of this program I had to take 6 courses every year that were akin to, or more challenging than AP courses. Furthermore I had to write a 2000 word research paper and accrue 150 community service hours in junior and senior year of high school. While college is most definitely challenging, I am still looking for more challenges to undertake, and gaining certifications such as the CCNA is one of those very challenges. This scholarship would allow me to start working towards my goal of gaining these certificates. Having these certificates in addition to my college education would be a great starting point in achieving my career goal of running my own networking/network security consulting firm. I truly believe that this scholarship, and the subsequent CCNA certificate(s) would be extremely beneficial in my quest to achieve this career goal.

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Application 7
jeph wrote:The knowledge is the first thing that is valuable and that makes the owner value wherever he is once he is yet in life.so why every day we need look knowlegde and need to give that we have to those need it.and if once you don’t make any effort to look for knowledge every you think you know where as it’s not a case.so it’s in that context I took an itiative of making my all I have to know what I can find opportunity of knowing it. As one of the wisest man said”we need to know some thing on every thing and we need to know every thing on somethinks.when I had begin to study IT essential I descovered that I have many things to know and I have been carious about Cisco course above all CCNA,CCNP,…but it was possible to for me take those courses because of some reason that are not depend on me include in: financial means;my location.
About financial means, I was require that I pay at least 500000 Rwandan francs a year I think it’s about 1000USD, so for me it wasn’t easy to find such amount to pursue that course,regarding to the location,Rwanda is a country that is developping so to say even computer based technology is still developping and it ‘s not some thing easy to find either many locations where we can undertake the CCNA or to find some many sponsors for those young need to explore the networking cause many don’t understand well what is that and what is its impact in improvement of human life.so I think it’s in that context I really want to take CCNA course and not only that but also if once I find the opportunity of taking that course I will be able to to change that understanding and I will one of those must help other to reach an other advanced level in their knowledge.
When I was in high school,I used to assist our computer lab administrator and follow him in every thing he did,I got a very small notion about networking and I found net working some thing very interresting ,I began to read some books related but I wasn’t understanding it cause it was little advanced. I looked for where I can find it from the basic, fortunately in IT issantial I took an overview of networking and I find it really interresting so now I applying this scholarship so to make my dream true.
I always have hope that even if I don’t qualify this scholarship,once I will qualify another.so make my dream true.

Application 8
djeclipse wrote:As I sit here and go through the many post for this scholarship which is being offered. I sit and wonder what I have that is different, what I show that is so exceptional, it can would make me hands down the best choice for this. Compared to the other candidates I have nothing.

I joined this site recently, as I figured networking would be a really good career choice. Reason being, everyone wants; no needs to communicate more efficiently on a daily basis. Information has to be passed back and forth with each user depending on the strength of the network to carry it through. With that thought, I tried studying on my own, using this site, along with different resources to help aide me in my progress.

Due to a turn of events, I was left without study material and was forced to stop studying and start to work to support myself in order to get by. I have now moved to New York, where I planned to return to school in order to get certified. So I can place myself in a better position, to make a better life for myself and family in the process. As the oldest of my siblings, along with my elders gaining on age; more and more everyone is depending on me to be there for them.

This is why I am submitting this short essay, to apply for an opportunity to get certified. This certification will be of great help to me, to boost me towards my goal.

Application 9
bigben wrote:Hello everyone!

I am a firm believer that you can achieve whatever you put your mind to.

I received my first computer in ‘94, two years later I was installing Slackware Linux following an all-nighter with a friend using a gigantic stack of floppy disks. Unforgettable memories of satisfaction when configuring samba successfully for the first time, exuberant and full of pride.

Fast forward to the present day, I currently have a networking degree along with eight years experience, no certifications.

Certifications at this point, I believe will allow affirmation of skills, quantifying my passion for networking and technology, demonstrating my will for continued education. The achievement of earning my CCNA certification would be another stone placed in what I would consider my hand crafted path which I hope never to be completed. Continuing education is what I have always desired.

Currently I have been studying for another certification which I was planning on taking early November. My road map to affirm my skills includes three certifications, the CCNA was my second certification I was planning to obtain. The scholarship I feel would boost my motivation inspiring me to change speeds, allowing me to bypass the first planned certification.

On a more personal level I hope my certifications will make me more marketable, I plan on relocating once a job is secured, I want to become a family man joining my girlfriend and two amazing young boys.

Getting my CCNA certification I believe would put me one step closer towards getting the dream job, working in a Health Care related networking position. I would find the experience enjoyable and make time to provide feedback and contribute. Paying the privilege forward in any way possible.

Thank you for considering myself for this honor and the opportunity to contribute to your community.

HighFreak1c
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Very cool, good luck to all applicants!
Study, study, study...
Believe yourself~
Do more than say!
At proper time, try some dumps!
Then succeed belongs to you!!

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:13 pm

If any of you guys with blogs want to help get the word out with a simple mention on your sites, it would be appreciated. Everybody, feel free to FB or Tweet the thread link too. Hopefully we can find that one candidate that really wants and deserves this.

eaadams
Post Whore

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:17 pm

Posted on http://www.facebook.com/cisconetworkingacademy - 22 Likes and 5 comments after 25 minutes. Livesight stats take a few hours to compile but typical admin wall posts like that get 50,000+ impressions (raw views and feeds) in 10 hours. (There's 108,448 members of which 75,000+ are active each month)
So I'm doing my bit to spread the word :-)

Aubrey

EDIT: Livesight stats are through - 66,519 impressions after 8 hours, 83 Likes and 29 comments :woohoo:
Last edited by eaadams on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. Alvin Toffler, "Future Shock" 1970

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Wow, thank you Aubrey. :cheers:

jared181920
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 pm

Posted on my blog and Twitter! Best of luck to the candidates! :)
http://blog.ccnpjourney.com

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Thank you Jared, that's a great write up.

http://blog.ccnpjourney.com/2010/09/mor ... forum-com/

andrew_berry

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:13 am

When can we start posting?

-Andrew
Andrew Berry

"There comes a time when the mind takes a higher plane of knowledge but can never prove how it got there." -Albert Einstein

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:18 am

We're ready for candidates, so post away. :)

BTW, the whole point of the essay to see how you communicate. Since the recipient is going to blog and forum-post about the journey, it's imperative that we select somebody who can communicate effectively.

Project2501
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:09 am

Awesome!
- Pete

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:31 am

Good luck to all the applicants.
"See packet, be packet, you are packet. Ignore all else!" -The Networker
packetsdropped.wordpress.com

jkaka
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:56 am

*Disqualified by Steve*

This guy already is a CCNA and has no real clue as to what is going on here.

hunter_thom
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNP, LPIC-1, ITIL

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:48 am

Great idea, Steve! Good luck to all participants.
http://projectportfolio.info/jhazen/

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks for being the first applicant jkaka.

Your entry was reprinted in the second post on the thread. I'm doing this so it's easier for folks to find and keep track of the applications.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:13 am

Hi jkaka. Welcome to the forum.

I see you listed CCNA in your certifications. Out of curiosity, if you have a CCNA why would you want this scholarship?

Steve
Site Admin
Certs:
CCNA

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:37 am

Infinite wrote:Hi jkaka. Welcome to the forum.

I see you listed CCNA in your certifications. Out of curiosity, if you have a CCNA why would you want this scholarship?

I have PMed jkaka and asked him/her to address this. Thank you Infinite.

burnyd
Post Whore
Certs:
CCIE R&S/SP,CCNP-SP,JNCIA,VCP510,VCA-DCV

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:41 am

its funny how many people on facebook looked at the link and then immediately asked how to become a candidate..... people really do not apply analytical skills anymore.
http://danielhertzberg.wordpress.com - I blog about networks!

'
Next

Return to Announcements