General off-topic discussions.
raven
CCIE #20728

Re: BGP Peering At Home...

Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:12 am

Dunno if Vito is going to revive it again or if we gotta start over from scratch. Lets see what hes going to say :)
http://ccie20728.wordpress.com/

Chinese Buffet

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:41 am

I'm in if its IPV6 peering this time round!

PeerIX6

CB

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:48 am

We could do just IPv6 too. I'm more than happy with my BGP knowledge already

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:09 am

This is a pretty cool idea. I think I'd be down with setting it back up using IPv6. I got a 2621XM that should be able to handle this.

cjutting
Post Whore

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:55 am

There are a handful of guys still peered up. Most of the people taking care of this (and yes Vito I'm guilty too) have kind of given up on it and have become busy with other things.

There's the group:

http://groups.google.com/group/peerix?hl=en

I'm bored at work today so I could approve people who haven't joined yet. Last I knew the Spreadsheet is as up to date as it's going to get with ipv4.

I myself wouldn't mind getting peered up with some more ipv6 guys. I have a Tunnel from HE too.

EDIT:

If the forum has been referenced in this thread it no longer is up. We moved away from the forum to use just google groupls

jared181920
Certs:
CCNA

Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:55 pm

Perhaps Steve might allow us to setup a PeerIX sub forum right here at NF rather than Google groups too? :) Could generate a little extra traffic for the site, although I'm sure most people involved in PeerIX are on here anyways :P
http://blog.ccnpjourney.com

Vito_Corleone
Certs:
CCNP RS, CCNP DC, CCDP, CCIP

Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:11 pm

cjutting wrote:There are a handful of guys still peered up. Most of the people taking care of this (and yes Vito I'm guilty too) have kind of given up on it and have become busy with other things.

I'm sure you remember my statements a few months back when I tried to get this going again.

Basically, people make stuff way more complex than it should be and everyone wants to plan, plan, plan... but in the end nothing gets done and people go off and do other shit.

If everyone is serious, I'm willing to participate, but I don't really want to be an organizer anymore. It's too much work and people bitch too much. I've got a few neighbors up at the moment, and I'll add more whenever people want to peer.

Too much planning will kill this again, so my suggestion is that people wing it only really worrying about overlapping peering subnets (the /30s or /31s). Other than that, just do it. IMO.
http://blog.alwaysthenetwork.com

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:56 pm

Having not been a part of the first go around on this, and having been on hiatus for so long, I have no idea what you're statements were on this Vito. I'd be interested in knowing the history to plan better for the future.

I just applied to the group. My real name is Jason (you won't see Infinite any where on the request I'm sure).

I'd be willing to take the lead on an IPv6 deployment of this. I'm weak on both BGP and IPv6 so it'd be more of an administrative lead than a technical one, but if that's what it takes to get it going then whatever. I'm also happy to let someone else go at it if they're so inclined.

I do agree on the too much planning part. I think some planning is needed, but over planning is for PM's not me. If anyone thinks drawing up a Gannt chart for this is a good idea I'm going to personally stick my foot in their asses. :D

Even if it doesn't happen I think I'm interested in exploring this a bit further. If more people are of the same mind then cool.

HighFreak1c
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:51 pm

Infinite wrote:I'd be willing to take the lead on an IPv6 deployment of this. I'm weak on both BGP and IPv6 so it'd be more of an administrative lead than a technical one, but if that's what it takes to get it going then whatever. I'm also happy to let someone else go at it if they're so inclined.

Even if it doesn't happen I think I'm interested in exploring this a bit further. If more people are of the same mind then cool.

Yeah, I'm weak in the same places (but shouldn't be) so am definitely keen. Drop me a PM Jason if you're keen and we can bang something out.
Study, study, study...
Believe yourself~
Do more than say!
At proper time, try some dumps!
Then succeed belongs to you!!

mellowd
CCIE #38070
Certs:
CCIE (RS,SP), JNCIE-SP, BC-/SPNE/NP

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:08 am

We did this using GRE tunnels last time, so if you're patchy in that area it's good experience

Vito_Corleone
Certs:
CCNP RS, CCNP DC, CCDP, CCIP

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:05 am

I approved both of you. I made you a manager Infinite.

The main issues I think were just the lack of accomplishing things. People would be all gung ho to get started, then they'd disappear. That and people bitching about everything.
http://blog.alwaysthenetwork.com

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Cool. I take a look at this a little more tonight.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:46 pm

So... Show of hands then:

If PeerIX is essentially dead should we start from scratch? Start a totally new GoogleGroup/forum/IRC/whatever and leave PeerIX as is for posterity's sake?

Who's in? Maybe PM me if you are so I'll know for sure.

stuh84
Certs:
CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:27 am

I'll get myself a decent router for this (anyone think a 1760 will cover this?), and I'll join in. I'm definitely up for the IPv6 side.
Router> show single women | inc without-drama
Router>

Working From My Shed, my networking blog
http://www.workingfrommyshed.co.uk

Lightworker
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA:V, CCDA, IPCXS

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:56 am

Rather than us trying to pretend we're RIRs like last time, it might be easier to have a public looking glass set up so that folks could see what prefixes and ASNs are in use prior to setting up peering

I want a v6 tunnel too. v4 is just boring now :snooty:

Lightworker
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:58 am

stuh84 wrote:I'll get myself a decent router for this (anyone think a 1760 will cover this?), and I'll join in. I'm definitely up for the IPv6 side.

I ran the last incarnation of this on a 2610XM before I got a 7200. As long as you have enough ram to support an image with BGP you should be good. I don't think most of us are messing with crypto this time around...too many headaches trying to teach IPSec on the fly.

cjutting
Post Whore

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:03 am

Lightworker wrote:
stuh84 wrote:I'll get myself a decent router for this (anyone think a 1760 will cover this?), and I'll join in. I'm definitely up for the IPv6 side.

I ran the last incarnation of this on a 2610XM before I got a 7200. As long as you have enough ram to support an image with BGP you should be good. I don't think most of us are messing with crypto this time around...too many headaches trying to teach IPSec on the fly.

Thats right. All of the tunnels I have setup are just GRE tunnels and no added Crypto

bsdrocker
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCDA

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm totally down again. I got my 3725 back on my edge a few weeks ago and it's humming along nicely. Should make for some good experience with BGP while studying for my CCNP.

jdsilva
Post Whore
Certs:
CCNP

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Lightworker wrote:I don't think most of us are messing with crypto this time around...too many headaches trying to teach IPSec on the fly.

No? I was thinking that maybe doing something like GETVPN could make this a little more interesting. I was even thinking I'd set up a CA and we could use certs for authentication...

Too much?

Lightworker
Ultimate Member
Certs:

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:50 pm

As long as it's opt-in and not required I don't see anything wrong with it.

'
PreviousNext

Return to Forum Lobby