General off-topic discussions.
Retired Account
Post Whore

Re: Official "post pics of your network" thread

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:25 am

javin wrote:I don't have much time for this, butI do have a 7 day weekend this weekend. As for wife, I have one(married 2 months now) and an 11 month old energetic little boy. My wife found out that my VM box is also a great rig to play the sims on, so now I have to find something else to host CUCM on while she visits me in the dungeon.

Haha, congrats on both accounts! I'm sure you've heard it before, but one kid is manageable - with two, your "play time" (Defined by my wife as any time I'm not working/cleaning/running errands) drops to about 10% of your day... it sucks. I need to get one of those six-figure jobs so my wife can quit and just take care of the house/kids :P

javin
Ultimate Member
Certs:
CCNA, CCNA-Voice, Security +

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks.

She wants a second rugrat. I am holding off as long as possible. When we got married she became a stay at home mom. It was made more sense. However, just because she is a stay at home mom does not mean that the cleaning gets done. I go to my lab to escape the rest of the house. My lab will likely continue to grow as long as I can handle the power bill and it doesn't get taken over completely. I will take pictures as it gets more crap added to it.
Discipline

"The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability" - Henry Ford

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 am

[quote="javin"

I don't have much time for this, but I do have a 7 day weekend this weekend. [/quote]

start the weekend thread already...
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

Retired Account
Post Whore

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:00 pm

javin wrote:Thanks.

She wants a second rugrat. I am holding off as long as possible. When we got married she became a stay at home mom. It was made more sense. However, just because she is a stay at home mom does not mean that the cleaning gets done. I go to my lab to escape the rest of the house. My lab will likely continue to grow as long as I can handle the power bill and it doesn't get taken over completely. I will take pictures as it gets more crap added to it.

Yeah, careful that your lab doesn't become like mine and get slowly pushed out into a corner of the garage with too much crap around it to actually use it... mine's just collecting dust right now... I miss having an office. :( Even if I had one now.. it's not like I can sit in there and watch the kids at the same time.

ciscokid243

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 pm

I thought I would post up a picture of my lab. I plan on starting my CCNA very soon and after completion heading straight for my CCNP. Here is what I have so far:

2 1841 384D/ 128F with SDM 2.5 with WIC-2T serial cards in each router
1 2620XM 128D/48F CME 4.1 and SDM 2.5 with NM-4A/S 4 port serial module
1 2509 Access server
3 2950 switches
APC ap 9211 Power Distribution

I know absolutely nothing about Cisco gear or the IOS but I'm up for the challenge. Is there anything else I may need? I'm going to order my cables pretty soon. How many cross over and how many straight cables should I pick up. I plan on getting an octal cable for my access server. What about dte/dce cables? I'm also looking to get a WIC-1T card. Would one be fine or would two be better? Sorry about all of the dumb questions this is still all new to me.
Attachments
CCNA home lab.jpg
CCNA home lab.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 5861 times

Retired Account
Post Whore

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:23 pm

You're going to love having the access server - without it you'd have to get up every five minutes to move cables around depending on what you're doing.

bertschs

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Lab in my office at home.

Not pictured are 3550-12T, 4700M; or the 7507 and 2924M-XLs rusting away in the garage... Anybody need a 7507? ;)

Also, love my Digi CM32 console server. $50 on eBay.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354077264.878815.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354077264.878815.jpg (179.7 KiB) Viewed 5846 times

SimonV
Certs:
N+, MCP, MCITP, CCNP, CCNA:Wireless

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:08 am

Nice rack, is that a Thunderdome DVD/CD? :mrgreen:

bertschs wrote: Anybody need a 7507? ;)

Is that still usable for studying purposes?

bertschs

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:02 am

SimonV wrote:Nice rack, is that a Thunderdome DVD/CD? :mrgreen:

Haha. Yeah, it is. Td decade DVD. I was there in Oct 2002 for that one. Been enjoying hc since 1994 or so.

SimonV wrote:Is that still usable for studying purposes?

Depends on your definition of usable I suppose. Dynamips is probably a better bet, and easier on the back too.

ristau5741
Post Whore
Certs:
Instanity

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:55 am

Steven King wrote:You're going to love having the access server - without it you'd have to get up every five minutes to move cables around depending on what you're doing.

not really, if you dedicate 1 Ethernet port per device, you can telnet to each by it's management IP.
the only sticky point is remembering to make the interface passive when playing with routing protocols,
otherwise your routes can be learned through the management switch.
Tips of the day:
- The human mind is the ultimate creation invention.
- I have so many customers, my customers have customers.
- Sausage time
- POP, stack, and store

Retired Account
Post Whore

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:38 am

ristau5741 wrote:
Steven King wrote:You're going to love having the access server - without it you'd have to get up every five minutes to move cables around depending on what you're doing.

not really, if you dedicate 1 Ethernet port per device, you can telnet to each by it's management IP.
the only sticky point is remembering to make the interface passive when playing with routing protocols,

That's all well and good ristau if your environment remains stable and you always have access to that management IP. When going through the lab manual while I was studying for SWITCH I found having an access server was one of the best things I spent money on. Before that, anytime I purposely cut off access to my management IP or downed interfaces to test things, I'd have to get up, go to the garage, and switch over the console port.

But that's why I said, "depending on what you're doing".

ciscokid243

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:06 pm

ristau5741 wrote:

Lol.... I don't what the f$%k you just said...well kind of...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Retired Account
Post Whore

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:26 pm

He's saying to assign a management IP and keep a port active that you never touch and make it passive so you'll always have a way to reach them via telnet, and not interfere with routing protocols.

Re-reading this, it makes sense and works, but if it's not a layer 3 switch, how does this work when considering L2 loops?

Regardless, an access server is cool :) Again, one of my favorite purchases.

mlan
Ultimate Member

Re: Official

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:46 pm

bertschs wrote:
SimonV wrote:Nice rack, is that a Thunderdome DVD/CD? :mrgreen:

Haha. Yeah, it is. Td decade DVD. I was there in Oct 2002 for that one. Been enjoying hc since 1994 or so.

Hardcore zal nooit sterven!

bertschs

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 pm

mlan wrote:Hardcore zal nooit sterven!

Ja, zeker niet! Het maakt niet uit...is de rijsttafel lekker? Ik begrijp je niet.

There, I've exhausted my entire Dutch vocabulary, as vast as it may be. Dank je wel.

SimonV
Certs:
N+, MCP, MCITP, CCNP, CCNA:Wireless

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 am

Where are you from then? Also suspected you'd be from Holland or Belgium frankly :)

mlan wrote:Hardcore zal nooit sterven!

qft

bertschs

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:42 am

SimonV wrote:Where are you from then? Also suspected you'd be from Holland or Belgium frankly :)

Minnesota, US

gbarnas

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:36 am

This is my lab network at home.. stuffed into a 5x15 foot area in the basement that used to be the coal bin. I'm an SE by trade, so it's more diverse than what you might be used to seeing. Due to the cramped space, it's hard to get good photos. The racks face each other and are separated by only about 5 feet.
Rack 1 - SAN Storage, Backup, and vCenter server - - - - - - - - - - - - - Rack 2 - VM Hosts & Networking
ImageImage
Both racks are 34u high in order to fit the tight confines. Rack 1 has an HP Gig-E switch for top of rack service, fiber connected to the 4506. It's in the back, out of sight. Rack 2 has a Bay Network Ethernet terminal server w/ 12 serial ports for OOB connectivity; a Raritan IP-KVM; an APC 8-port 110vac Switched PDU; and an APC 3-bay expansion box with 2 environmental monitor units for temp & humidity monitoring. These are all mounted behind the 4506. Most of the gear runs on 240VAC, controlled by 16-port Switched PDUs in the bottom of rack 1 and 2.

Rack 3 is an open-frame 2-post style with a 7.5KVA 240VAC UPS, a Cisco 4503 w/ Sup-5 and two 48-port 1000bT cards, and a VGA console for the IP-KVM. No photo of Rack 3.

There's a Cisco WS-C2960-24PC-L in the living room below the TV that's trunked to the 4506 on Gig copper. Most of the VLANs are brought out on this switch for testing or demonstration, as the computer room is cramped with just one person in it! It provides dual-standard POE for testing VoIP configurations.

On the wall behind Rack 2 is a backboard supporting the telco interface for the fiber termination - 12-pair from Verizon that used to service an SMDS Internet feed and a couple of Frame Relay connections, no longer in service. I currently have a 30/20 Mbps Cable connection with a /29 public subnet for connectivity. On the opposite wall is the backboard for the cross-connects, patch panels, POE injection, and Telco ports that provide connectivity to the house. One of the two 1231G APs is mounted there as well, a second is in the attic, and a third running as a WDS is on top of Rack 2. The cable runs terminate on a 110 block, which is then brought to a specially wired patch panel. Each endpoint jack spans 2 ports on the patch panel, allowing me to provide data (2 pair) and either POTS (2 pair) or custom POE injection (5/12VDC) on any jack. Wrap plugs permit full 4-pair connectivity where needed. This give me lots of versatility for testing anywhere in the house.

Here's the current network diagram (as of Nov 2012):
All of the servers are VM guests, except the vCenter/Backup server. The "branch office" is a "kit" that consists of an ISA Firewall and 1231G AP, providing guest and protected services anywhere there's an Internet connection. I have two of these kits and use them when others work on projects with me for rapid deployment of site-site VPN. This "small enterprise" network allows me to test just about anything I'd encounter in the field. Everything is documented using OneNote and Excel, which allows calculated fields to automate documenting the paths through the patch panels and switch ports.

I have a bunch of (dare I say) Nortel gear for testing special situations, including a fully populated BN router, Accelar 1200 switch, a couple of ARNs, and a 2-node ASN. There are several 4000-series cards for the Cisco 4503, including CATOS supervisors & mid-plane routing cards; an ASA 5505; and second Pix 515e as well. Most of this is in the garage and comes out only when needed.

It keeps me busy... :)

Glenn
Lost: Rocket, appx 8' tall, Green w/ yellow fins, nose, and computer bay.. Last seen streaking skyward in NY

expaddy
Post Whore
Certs:
BSc computer network administration, CCNP, MCSE

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:46 am

Hats off to ya Glenn that's pretty cool.
Good Luck,

David

wirerat
Post Whore
Certs:
More than none

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:10 am

gbarnas wrote:This is my lab network at home..

:shock:

Sweet.
"See packet, be packet, you are packet. Ignore all else!" -The Networker
packetsdropped.wordpress.com

'
PreviousNext

Return to Forum Lobby